Mast raising ideas...

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Been though a number of less than ideal days on the water over the years as have all sailors. But more to the point of your mast raising question its always a good idea to have a backup plan for your system. Gin poles fail, lines break, and sometimes a few passers by become friends real quick to get the stick down. I like having a system I can do alone and a plan for when I have help. the number one thing to remember is what the minimum is. A single stay of those you remove to raise and lower (forestay, and 2 forward lowers) will hold the mast up if needed. Don't sail that way but if you need time to make adjustments you can.

Nov 9, 2022
Catalina 30 Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
Been though a number of less than ideal days on the water over the years as have all sailors. But more to the point of your mast raising question its always a good idea to have a backup plan for your system. Gin poles fail, lines break, and sometimes a few passers by become friends real quick to get the stick down. I like having a system I can do alone and a plan for when I have help. the number one thing to remember is what the minimum is. A single stay of those you remove to raise and lower (forestay, and 2 forward lowers) will hold the mast up if needed. Don't sail that way but if you need time to make adjustments you can.
Good advice and will be my plan.

Jan 28, 2023
catalina 22 Clinton Marina
I know this is an older thread. My new '84 has a furling Jib and I’ve never lowered (or raised) the mast yet. Anyone have any videos of raising/lowering with a furling Jib? I can’t figure out where the Jib halyard or forestay are, so want to lower the mast to see what’s up on top.

Nov 9, 2022
Catalina 30 Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
This was my original post and I will defer to the experienced sailors to advise you. I just purchased a 1981 C22 and haven't had it in the water yet, getting it set up with the options I want, new bottom paint etc. I do not have a roller furler... All the best. Jack

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
The forestay is generally in the furler drum On most systems. Lower the sail using the small halyard line on the furler, lift the drum a bit, and then you can loosen it. YouTube has a ton of mast raising videos for Catalina 22s. It’s not hard. some even lower with the sail furled but that is more weight when lowering.

Jan 28, 2023
catalina 22 Clinton Marina
Appreciate the insights. I'll look more closely today at my set-up - but great winds forecasted, so I may just sail! I saw some excellent videos without a furler, I’ll keep searching for some with a furler sail.