mast raising-again

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

J Barrett

Ok, I got my mast raising kit from MacGregor. I understand that it is really for the 26 but will work on my 25 with some modifications. I have the hinged mast step and have figured out where to mount the baby stays, I think. The real issue is how and where to mount the lower block. If I use the length of the mast raising pole and where it would reach on the foredeck I am dead center on the forehatch. I could make a bar that would temporarily span the opening while using the kit but don't know if I want to have something that might move during the operation or something else to stow when not in use. Is the foredeck in front of the hatchway strong enough to mount to? How about with a backing plate? How big of a plate? Any ideas? Also, I was pretty sure that my jib halyard had lost a couple of feet somewhere along the way and was going to replace it. Now I know for sure it has. Does anyone know what the factory line size and length is supposed to be for this. I want to try to have everything ready to go if one of those hurricanes comes this way and I decide to pull the boat. Thanks. -John

B

Bob Gump

Mast Raising

I don't bother with the kit... I attach the mast to the foot, slide the hatch closed, reach down and lift the mast into upright. Reverse the process going down... I'm not a weight lifter and routinely raise and lower my mast since I moor the boat on my trailer in my backyard....

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
options

Halfway between the hatch and headstay chainplate is where my cleat is. That's where I hook my line. I can't see the backing of my cleat but it is substantial I'm sure. Be careful if yo go that route. Maybe someone can suggest the right size. You could use the chainplate unless you have a furler. It will get in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.