Mast Pumping Bavaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2010
bavaria cruiser 42 Vancouver
My Bavaria 42 mast pumps when sailing upwind in 12 knots or more of wind. Do you have any suggestions?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Mast Pumping

Can you give us some rig details. Masthead or fractional? How many spreaders? Babystay, how many lower shrouds? How much tension is in your stays/shrouds?

Jul 11, 2010
bavaria cruiser 42 Vancouver
Re: Mast Pumping

Hi yes I have a frac rig 9/10 with swept back spreaders. I have a cap shroud, one lower shroud and one upper shroud going from the lower spreaders to the upper spreaders. I have an adjustable backstay. The fore stay has furling gear. The boat is a Bavaria 42. It is a Selden rig and I followed their directions and tightened the
cap shrouds, lower shrouds and then the upper shrouds. When sailing, the leeward shrouds are still tight. I do not believe the shrouds are to loose. I have seen other Bavarias and their shrouds are loose??

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Selden puts out a booklet for free on how to tune your Selden spar and covers all the various types of rigging. Give them a call. 843-760-6278. They are most helpful people and if you explain to them the problem you have, I am sure they will walk you through it. On every Selden spar there is a serial number stamped in the aluminum near the bottom. If you give them that number they will know exactly what section you have and the parts attached to it and will go from there.

Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 36 Rock Hall, MD, USA
You need a tune (actually, your rig needs one)

I had a similar situation on my 2003 Bavaria 36 2-years ago. I have the rig inspected and then tuned to factory specs, and the pumping stopped completely. The fractional rigs with non-continuous shrouds (Selden uses these on the Bavarias) are tough to tune, so I had the pros do it. Since then - no issues. Good luck.

Ken
WindSong

My Bavaria 42 mast pumps when sailing upwind in 12 knots or more of wind. Do you have any suggestions?

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
Like others have said a little rig tuning goes a long way. I have a Bavaria 40 Ocean CC with a selden in mast furler and a hydraulic backstay. For a while when the winds were 20 knots plus I had a harmonic hum in my backstay. A couple turns on the backstay adjuster and it went away. For mast pumping you probably want to look at the rig tuning guide or hire a rigger. Of course you could just play with it and see what happens. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.