Mast Pumping 1988 Catalina 36 MKI

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Care Preston. Running out in a blow ("We had it close hauled in 20 gusts to 25 last weekend") with a rig that needs to be tuned for issues like "MAST PUMPING" can lead to unexpected results. :yikes:

Might consider taking it a little easy till you get the rig tuned.

Then go out and have at it.

Just saying.

May 20, 2019
Catalina 36 MKI GIG HARBOR
Care Preston. Running out in a blow ("We had it close hauled in 20 gusts to 25 last weekend") with a rig that needs to be tuned for issues like "MAST PUMPING" can lead to unexpected results. :yikes:

Might consider taking it a little easy till you get the rig tuned.

Then go out and have at it.

Just saying.

Exactly. I just didn't know it was out of tune. Seems obvious in hind sight. Rigger coming out to do it up right.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good idea.
When you get the rig aligned and tuned, if you still have an issue, check the back stay. I put up a radar reflector on our back stay. Great for radar reflection, but a liability in a very stiff breeze while anchored or in the marina. As the 30+ breeze blows through the rigging the radar reflector likes to snatch a bit of it and act like a drunken sailor wagging about. This transfers to the mast and the mast conveniently shares the pumping, throbbing message down to me while I am trying to rest.

With the mast properly tuned, pulling up the slack by tightening the back stay has helped.

Good luck.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I found on my previous boat a Catalina34 that if I sheeted in the main sheet too tightly the mast would pump. Loosen it a bit and the pumping would stop

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I don't think anyone sleeps in 20 knots + while anchored.
You need better ground tackle! I've slept many a breezy night about fifty yards behind my Rocna set well in sand or mud. In the lea of an island, there's no fetch and therefore minimal waves.