Mast lowering device

• Thread starter Lawrence Hughes
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lawrence Hughes

I have an O'Day 23. I would like to moor it at my dock on the Alafia River but I need to pass under a bridge with about a 28 foot clearance. Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with the device that can be inserted in the mast to lower it for passage under low bridges

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Sail hard over?

Lawrence, Slinging the mast down is tough business. It can be done, but you need to be very careful each time to avoid twisting the deck fitting. How much clearance are you lacking? For that matter, are you sure you don't fit as it is? I don't have mast height stats at hand, but I would bet you are less than 28 feet from the water at the mast tip. You may have to move a radio antenna to deck level, and you may not be able to get your windex through, but I would be very surprised if you're mast is _that_ long. If it is, you can rig a system that will let you lower the mast by attaching guys to the boom and using it as a gin pole with the mainsheet as tackle. You would release the backstay, after attaching a strong topping lift to the boom to keep it at right angles to the mast, then lower the mast forward to clear the bridge. This would need revision to be workable on a daily basis, but I suppose it could be done. Measure your mast. You might be pleasantly surprised. Justin - O'day Owner's Weg

M

Mike Basham

Lowering Mast on a 23'

I purchased a 1972 23' O'Day a few months ago. While the mast was down, I measured it, and it is 24'-2" from the boom to the top of the masthead. With another few feet from the boom to the bottom of the mast, plus the heighth of the boat above water, you're probably not going to make it under a 28' bridge. I've raised and lowered my mast several times lately, unfortunately. It's a lot of work. To start with, I built a "holder" for the mast that attaches where the rudder usually does, because my boat doesn't have anything for the mast to rest on at the rear of the boat once it's lowered. It's high enough to keep the mast from resting on the top of the cabin. This is used to trailer the boat, so having the rudder off is not a problem. It would be if you were still having to steer the boat under a bridge, so maybe you can come up with something else. The bolt through the base of the mast is closer to the rear of the mast, so lowering toward the stern seemed more appropriate. I leave the bolt in the bottom of the mast, and I loosen but do not remove the turnbuckles for the back two sidestays on each side. I do remove the front turnbuckles on each side. I leave the backstay in place but I do loosen it a bit. I attach a pulley to the flange below the headstay attachment point. With someone pushing forward on the mast, I release the headstay, and attach a rope through the pulley to the headstay. With the rope aroung the winch on the mast, I lower the mast slowly until it rests in the "holder". I raise it back up the same way. I always have someone help me keep everything steady while raising it or lowering it. Hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.