Mast lights

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hey gang - I'm having trouble with the anchor and steaming/deck lights and looking for suggestions as to what the problem might be. All the other systems work fine. The electrical system is totally new to me. My last C22 didn't have any electrical. The connection to the mast wires is a four-prong. Can I be not lining up the holes correctly? Any tips or suggestions are most welcome. All the best, Kevin.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Is the 4 prong connector keyed? If so it shouldn’t be possible to attach it the wrong way. I’d turn on the lights, leave the connector disconnected, and measure voltage across each pair of pins. That should give you some indication of which pin does what. If you can’t get voltage to the pins there’s a blown fuse or some other connection problem between there and the battery. If you do have voltage there the next thing to check would be if there’s connectivity along each wire up the mast.

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
The four pin conector is keyed.. one of the pins is a little fatter than the other three. That is usually the ground, however it depends on who wired it. Start by checking voltages at the deck connection. You should be able to identify the ground and pins with power. Use the switches to verify what is what. these connections get corroded very fast. I clean mine with a cotton swab and muratic acid, rinse with another swab with vinegar, then i use white lithium grease or vasoline to keep them clean. After verifying power at the deck connector and cleaning the pins and sockets, connect the mast and check for power at the light sockets.

best of luck and let us know how it comes out.

Dano

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
That connector has made a monkey out of me both times I've replaced it. The first time I even took pictures and labeled which pin was what. Still got it wrong.

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
That connector is tricky. If you take it apart you must use a small philips screw driver to remove screws from the pins. Don't overtighten or they strip real easy. I ruined one, doing this and had to buy another to fix it.
Dano

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Try a jumper from your battery to the mast end of the connector to make sure all bulbs are ok before blaming the connector, can save you some aggravation.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Thanks for all the great tips everyone!

I will do a little sleuthing this weekend. My sailing group is going on an cruise beginning Friday. We are starting in Santa Cruz, sailing to Moss Landing, then to Monterey. We will go outside the peninsula and head down the coast to Stillwater Cove (Pebble Beach), before turning around and going home in the reverse order. This is my first time doing a "destination" sailing trip. We have sailed in Monterey Bay before, but always day tripping out of the marina. Which, by the way is the best deal in town. You can berth for $22/night ($1/foot) and you are staying in the heart of Monterey. This is the best lodging deal in Monterey on the planet! Plus, the marina facilities are very nice too.

All the best,
Kevin

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
That's quite a trip for a cat 22. I currently have mine in moss landing boatyard getting bottom paint.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Thanks for all the great tips everyone!

I will do a little sleuthing this weekend. My sailing group is going on an cruise beginning Friday. We are starting in Santa Cruz, sailing to Moss Landing, then to Monterey. We will go outside the peninsula and head down the coast to Stillwater Cove (Pebble Beach), before turning around and going home in the reverse order. This is my first time doing a "destination" sailing trip. We have sailed in Monterey Bay before, but always day tripping out of the marina. Which, by the way is the best deal in town. You can berth for $22/night ($1/foot) and you are staying in the heart of Monterey. This is the best lodging deal in Monterey on the planet! Plus, the marina facilities are very nice too.

All the best,
Kevin
I lived right on Carmel Point, across the bay from Pebble Beach, when I was a kid. I had no idea how fortunate I was. Some friend of the family had rented us the house for a fraction of what it was worth. We boys used to go scrounge lost golf balls along the Pebble Beach shoreline, and sell them back to the golfers. :)

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
That's quite a trip for a cat 22. I currently have mine in moss landing boatyard getting bottom paint.
We'll be staying at the guest docks at Elkhorn Yacht Club on 9/3 and then again on 9/7 and 9/8. Come join us for a leg or more on the trip. Send me PM and I will give you my digits if you are interested.

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
We'll be staying at the guest docks at Elkhorn Yacht Club on 9/3 and then again on 9/7 and 9/8. Come join us for a leg or more on the trip. Send me PM and I will give you my digits if you are interested.
I would love to meet up, I'm gonna be in Florida on vacation until the 17th but I would like to get in the next one this year if you do a decent trip. Thanks