Mast lights inop

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug

I probably don't want to hear read the answer to this but... neither my steaming light nor mast head light are working. I don't have any power or ground at the steaming light (didn't get up high enough to check the mast head). I checked behind the electrical panel and I have power through the breakers. Is there any way to safely check the plug connector under the mast while the boat is in the water? I can think of some risky ways to attempt it.... -Doug S/V Brenda Gail

H

Henry Weber

mast lights inoperative

Doug -Last month I attacked the same problem on my 77H30. My wiring in the mast was badly corroded. It was necessary to replace all electrical wiring in the mast. Was able to do it with the boat in the water and the mast in place. Fished new wires from the top of the mast down to bottom. I was not able to install the new wires inside the plastic conduit; however, so far, there has been no problem with halyards or the wires. The only negative is that sometimes you can hear the wires hitting the inside of the mast as the boat rocks -- but it is not at all loud. Ideally I would do it with the mast removed and in a horizontal position. Also added spreader lights. Cheers and good luck Henry

D

Doug

Different set up?

Henry - I must have a different set up than your boat. There is a connector under the mast that is not accessible unless the mast is lifted off the deck. I saw some archived posts about making an inspection port at the base of the mast but I am not cutting out any metal from the base of the mast. Does your wiring enter the boat through the deck?

T

Tom M.

YES there is a way to check the connectors in wate

First of all I;m assuming, you're in a marina, check out the two sailboats on each side, if they are bigger and taller rigs, you're in luck, all you have to do is to talk to the owners, to use one halyard from each boat, take the halyards up your mast to the spreaders, loop the halyards, around your mast and spreaders, have them place tension on the halyards, while you loosen and undo the split back stay, the port or starboard 3 shrouds, and lift and tie off "secured on their winches, you only need a maximum of a foot to check out the connections, if the boats next to you are too small, then temp. move you boat between two boats that are big enough and aggreeable, have plenty of cold beer areound for afterwards, one day they too may need a favor. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.