Mast is bowed aft

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Karen

We have a 329 first series that we bought in November. We had the mast stepped for the first time and we noticed that there was a bow in the mast and it seems to be leaning toward the stern. We have and adjustable back stay and I know its to tight, but I thought I would get some input before attempting to straighten it out. Any suggestions ? Please help. Thanks

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Swept Back Spreaders

Is this a new boat? Even though this is a masthead rig, with the swept back spreaders there will be a certain amount of mast bend caused by spreader tension. When looking at the rig, the swept back spreaders are pushing the mast forward, hence the bend. Since this is a masthead rig the backstay shouldn't have a significant effect on mast bend. Backstay tension will take some of the sag out of the forestay so there is some minor fore-and-aft movement of the mast but this is very small. An increase in the backstay tension is really valuable when going to weather in a breeze in order to take the fullness or draft out of the jib. The good part about not having the backstay tension loose to the point the forestay flops around is the possibility of component failure due to work-hardning of the metals is less.

G

Glen Brumbaugh

Prebend in masts

Karen, Our mast has considerable "prebend". This is where the mast is designed to have some bend in it's normal state. The same could be true of your mast. I would suggest that you contact Beneteau Customer Support in South Carolina and ask them. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.