mast internal rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2009
2 8.0 Cleveland
I want to rewire my mast for the lights and antenae.
I have a 8.0, 30 ft mast.
Is this something that can be done somewhat easily or is this a bigger project than it looks.
I would need instructions on how to take apart the base, etc. I am wondering if I can just attach the new wires to the old and pull them thru without taken everything apart.
It is a 1975 and the wires are frayed at the base and need new connectors.
I am planning on going to the boat now and would appreciate any advise.
Please feel free to call me at 440 -667-3939 or at sankvtx@aol.com
Thanks,
Roy

Last edited:

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
There is no guarrantee that they will just pull through, depending on how they are now. For example, they might be zip tied together which could impact things, or they could be in a conduit. Make sure you get wire of the right grade (marine) and thicknesses. I presume the mast is down?

Jun 16, 2009
2 8.0 Cleveland
mast is down, not sure how to remove base plate or the top plate, would like to see the inside of the mast so that I would know what to do!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
My best advice is to bring a drill...sometime these things are rivetted on and the rivets must be drilled out. I think I'd disconnect the mast head light, steaming light and any antenna wires. Tie a fish line to each of the wires and then start pulling from the bottom to see what comes out. If you need to pull the mast plate you will just have to figure it out as you go. The manuals typically do not contain that level of detail and won't likey help you. You might wish to call rigrite, as they sell Kenyon parts and masts and likely know the mast and how it was constructed well enough to help you out if you get in a bind. (www.rigrite.com 401-739-1140 ). They can probably supply you with the proper rivets, etc...if you need them as well. That is the best I can do on short notice. Good luck! Bob

Jun 16, 2009
2 8.0 Cleveland
thanks Bob.
I do not have any manuals and noone at the club is too helpful, kind of on my own.
Did not want to make this a career project, but it will probably turn out that way.
i will check out the website at rigrite and let you know how this turns out, might be able to offer advise down the road to someone else.
Feel free to call me with any suggestions, I will try to go there now, but its drizzling and not the best weather conditions.
Thanks again,
Roy

Jun 16, 2009
2 8.0 Cleveland
Rewiring is done. actually easier than I thought it would be, other than making sure that new wires did not become detached when pulling thru the mast.
Replaced nuts and bolts as I went along and added an extra wire for a mast mounted light for the deck. I will also replace the antennae cable as well, as it is frayed at the top.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
mast noise

What did you end up doing to reduce potential noise? I am sorry, but I wasn't in a place I could respond then I just forgot about it. I was going to suggest pipe insulation.

Jun 16, 2009
2 8.0 Cleveland
This forum is so slow to respond! It keeps coming up with error messages!
Anyway:
I tried to install conduit, but the the wire I bought was thicker than the original and the conduit had to be 1", took up too much room in the mast. I ran an extra wire for the deck light that I will install and I was afraid that the lines would rub against the conduit, so I pulled it out.
the lines are insulated and thicker than the originals, so I don't think that too much slapping will be happening. The mast is not as large in diameter as some others, so space is at a premium.
I still have to run a new antennae cable and I replaced the bolts and nuts with new ones as I removed them.
I have removed, recaulked and reinstalled all of the deck hardware, no more leaks now.
So things have progressed, I will have to rewire from the mast to the battery, another project for another season I think.
Thanks for the suggestions and links.
I wil probably need more advise as I continue to work on the boat,
Roy

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Congrats

Sounds like a job well done.

I always hit the internet for as much information as possible, however, the reality of it is that you are unlikely to find someone who has done the exact job on your exact make and model AND documented it thoroughly on the internet somewhere. So every task is taken on with an element of uncertainty, but as long as there is no significant element of danger, you really are better off doing it yourself. It just comes with the territory.

There seem to be two kinds of sailboaters out there...the do-it-yourselfer's and those who somehow muddle through without learning anything. I met a guy who owned his 1980 boat since 1985...when looked at his boat I mentioned that he might want to replace missing c-clips, clean and lube his turnbuckles (rusted and apparently frozen) and reseal his chainplates, he gave me a blank stare.

Jun 16, 2009
2 8.0 Cleveland
Thanks.
The biggest problem is overcoming the fear that you might do something wrong and in all honesty, it does help if there is an extra pair of hands to help pull, tug,or whatever.
Tomorrow, I tackle the antennae cable and then connect the mast lights to the new wire, finish polishing the mast and hopefully step the mast in the next couple of days, kind of anxious to get out there, although the weather has been bad almost every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.