Mast Height on Intercoastal

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

I was wondering if a 63' mast height might make it through the intercoastal? Is there a Intercoastal guide on the NET? Mike mik456@concentric.net

P

Paul Bednarzyk

Mast Height

Mike, At least on the East Coast, you should be okay, although it will be close. Along the Gulf Coast I think you will be too tall to get under at least some of the bridges. You might check the Adventures of Rainbowchaser as he has a pretty detailed description of the ICW along the Gulf. I hope this helps. Paul Bednarzyk S/V Knot Again

T

Terry Arnold

Panhandle ICW

From first and sometimes white knuckle experience with a 47'3" mast height, the controlling clearance is quite often 50 feet in the Florida panhandle from Perdido to Carrabelle. Dinging radio antenna not unusual. Charted heights must still be checked with on site height boards. A good cruising guide is of course essential.

J

Jim Bohart

Noted Exceptions

included are correct for the Fla. Panhandle. Other two areas of concern are between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. There is a 50' fixed span at North Miami making it nessicary to go out at Ft. Lauderdale and back in at Miami. Also the Okechobee waterway has fixed spans of 45-47' Some periods of HIgh tide and wind on shore can present problems at any ICW bridge consult the bridge prior to clearing through. Also some of the info posted in the charts is incorrect. Like the Vilano Bch. Bridge as noted has a clearance of 65' but settled now to about 63.5" at Mean High Water. You can collect the center light with you masthead on a 40.5. done that. JB

J

Jim Ewing

Following up on JB's post

The Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera Beach FL has also undergone some "settling". Charted at 65' gauge on bridge shows +/-62' at high water. My 37.5 has a black tip on a masthead cellphone antenna and I have left a stripe... On a cruise from Charleston to West Palm Beach last spring it looked like the bridges that were as charted did not have gauges and all the one's that were lower than charting did have a gauge. Enjoy your cruise, Jim "Prospect"

O

Omar Van Rooyen

Mast Heights on the ICW

Just came down the ICW from the Chesapeake to Miami. Although we went outside from Beaufort NC to Jacksonville FL with a stop in Charleston SC, and another outside venture from Canaveral Barge Canal to Ft Lauderdale. The control height for all fixed bridges on the ICW is 65' although there were a few bridges where high water was registered on the water level markers reducing in one instance the height to 63.5. There is one exception: the Julia Tuttle bridge in downtown Miami is only 56 ft. You can bypass this bridge by going outside from Ft Lauderdale to Miami Port, about 25 miles. If you are going to make the trip, I would recommend the Chartkits for the ICW. You will need 2 one from Norfolk to Jacksonville and the other for Florida. Also very helpful is the ICW Cruising Guide which gives helpful advice and most importantly, the bridge schedules for all the opening bridges. Have a good trip.

S

steven F

ICW from Stuart fl. to Ft. Meyers

My mast is 49' (that includes electronics) and I fit under the lowest RR bridge. If the rainy season been in full swing I might have had problems. As it was, I had about 1' to spare.

B

Bill Jones

Check the Tides

I recently purchased a H40.5 (Mast 62'9") in Hilton Head, SC and took her down the ICW to the St. John's River in Florida. My VHF antena on the mast made contact on two "65" footers. My charts are on the boat, but I believe the first was just south of Fernandina Beach and the other was not on the ICW but south of Jacksonville. I will ensure that all my future trips will include low tide passings! Bill J

Status
Not open for further replies.