Mast Head Sheaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Scheid

Does anyone know the stock size of the 4 mast head sheaves in a 1980 C30? Acording to the C30 manual, there is an aluminum spacer between the port and starboard sheave pairs...anyone know it's size? I would like to replace the sheaves and maybe the spacer with delrin, but would like to know the sizes before I make the trip up the mast. Jeff S.

J

joe friedman

sheave source

i replaced the sheaves on my c-27 when i switched to all rope. i went to Catalina Direct and they had the right bits and pieces. you might give them a call and ask their recommendation and then you can either purchase from them or price it out with other sources. i'm thinking of changing mine on the 77 c-30 i'm working on and they seem to be pricey - but that's my problem.

J

joe friedman

how do you do it?

by the way, tell me how you can change the sheaves while your 'climbing up the mast' at the same time. if you're going to use a spin halyard it doesn't sound like a great idea.

J

Jeff Scheid

How do you do it, carefully!

The best answer...carefully. Actually I have many years as a Mountain Climber. I use climbing equipment, ascenders and safety equipment. Typically I use the ascenders to climb up the main halyard and then use another set to attach to the top shrouds with an extra safety loop of webbing up over the hast head. I then can remove the set from the halyards and do what I need to do up top. When I'm done , I just replace the halyards and repel down...faster then walking down with the ascenders and I don't need to rely on someone else raising or lowering me down via the halyard and winch. Yep, I'm the guy at our marina that gets asked to do all the mast work. Actually it's safer than a lot of mountains I've climbed. Try hanging off of ice, with a 3000 ft drop... climbing up a mast isn't so bad. :^) Jeff

R

Rodger

Take wire

Take some bailing wire and snips along. You will find that there is no way to get a hold on the sheaves to pull them out. So the drill is to work a piece of wire around the sheave with a twist and a long tail so it doesn't drop down the mast. Wrap a piece of wire around the new sheave to get it into place.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Have you called the factory parts dept????

Catalinayachts.com I replaced the sheaves on my C27 with factory parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.