Mast Head Casting

Ed S

Sep 6, 2016
Hunter 335 Lake Guntersville
I sailed under a bridge - not the center section. The lake was low and I thought I would clear it, but, I didn't. The bottom of the bridge caught the casting on top of the mainsail (1992 Hunter 33.5), bent and broke the casting, sheared off the wind vane and broke the globe in the anchor light. I can find replacement parts to repair the wind vane but I am trying to find someone who can replace or repair the mast head casting that both the wind vane and anchor light are attached to. Has anyone else had some experience with a situation like this?

Ed S

Sep 6, 2016
Hunter 335 Lake Guntersville
Thanks, guys. I found a welder in Abilene, TX while I was there doing a cargo run. He welded the two pieces of the masthead casting back together. It is now solid as a rock. Once I grind down the welds it will look just fine, especially knowing that only the birds will be able to see it. I had no luck finding a replacement casting and the ones that were close were very expensive. Moral of this story - only sail under the center section if you have a tall mast, and get to know your local welders.

I appreciate your help and input.

Good Sailing!!