Mast Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob James

I recently saw a post on another Catalina site and thought it might be interesting for this group. On our masts there is a simple phillips head screw that hold the sail slugs from coming down too far and coming out of the mast slot. That's a good thing, however, it also prevents the slugs from coming down all the way to the boom for reefeing, etc. Some smaller Catalina models (22, 25, 27) have solved this 'problem' with an add-on mast gate that (I assume) is removed to put the sail on or take it off and when installed makes the mast slot too narrow to allow the slugs to come out. Another benefit listed is that the Dutchman system works much better if the slugs can come further down to the boom. Anyone doing this on our 310's? Any thoughts or ideas? Catalina Direct has mast gates available for some of the smaller models.

MarkZ

Nov 5, 2005
Hunter 49 Green Turtle Bay: Ky
Mast gate and bottom slug

Bob, On my sail the bottom slug is attach to a piece of rope which spans between two grommets on the leach. When the sail is dropped the line becomes loose and allows the sail to fall below the bottom slug, thus the sails lays on top of the boom. I believe it all happens the same way when reefed, but I have to admit that I haven't paid much attention the couple of times that I've reefed. If anyone thinks their sail is rigged differently, and would like to see a photo, I could take a picture of mine and post it here. I have my sail off the boat and at home, so I cannot take the picture with it laying in position on the boom. You could get a good idea of how the bottom slug is rigged though.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Luff Jack Line

This was discussed here a few weeks ago and I think Moody provided the answer: There is a simple fix that won't require any modification to the mast. Find a sailmaker that has been around long enough to look like someones grandfather. Ask them about adding a jack line to the luff sliders. Have them down to the boat to look at the sail to see how many sliders need to be loose. A luff jack line is used to hold the sliders on the luff of the sail. When the luff is loose (dousing or reefing) the luff can pull away from the sliders and come down to the boom. when the sail is raised again the jack line goes tight and the luff is held securely.

B

Bob James

You might be correct

Mark: You might be correct but like you the boat is on the hard and the sails in the bag. Spring will tell. I also have a Catalina 22 that I will be adding the mast gate to in leu of keeping two sail slugs out of the tract to allow reefing. Have a good winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.