Mast Float Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBDUX

Jul 9, 2009
2 140 Duxbury,MA
I have a hunter 140 Recently, I flipped the boat after getting cought in wind gust and the mast was driven into the mud. I had to be towed by a friend out of the mud to right the boat. I am now looking for a solution so as to keep the mast from getting submerged in the water. Does anyone have experience with this. I don't know if a mast float is made for the hunter 140? Has anyone injected closed cell foam into the top 1/3 of the mast itself? Looking for suggestions. GB

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
I saw this issue covered when I first discovered this board and spent hours pouring through the Daysailor archives. I recommend you try this:
http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/in...id=267&cat_id=11&aid=7454&page=article&mn=170

It's under the boat owner/boat modification tabs above for the 170. Take a look, I think it will cover everything you need!

I would recommend you spend some time checking the archives. When first checking them out, I'd search for "170 trailer", "170 sail trim" and any other combo I could think of. It was great reading and I learned a lot from these searches. I'm only mentioning this as I believe you would be as amazed as I was regarding the wealth of information from the experts who posted here.

Many of these posts covered the 140/146/170 in the same thread.

GBDUX

Jul 9, 2009
2 140 Duxbury,MA
Thanks txjim. After I posted my question I thought about this option using the noodles. I think this is the way to go. Thanks for the link
gb

Jul 10, 2009
Hunter 170 lake Manitoba
Hey GB don't worry about stuffing great lengths of foam noodles or other such things in the mast. The main thing here is to seal the mast head area using little bit of expanding foam or just building a small foam plug and just packing it with silicone. Little dab of silicone on all the rivets will also help. Once the mast is water tight you'll never have to worry about it sinking on you after an accidental capsize.

I did that to my mast few months back and it worked great. To test my modification I just filled the mast with water from a garden hose to check for leaks. Few drops came out where the spraders attach but that's it.

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.