Mast Crutch for M25

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Diego
Does anyone know of a source for a good stern mounted metal mast crutch for trailering? I want one that will be permanently mounted, preferably to the stern pulpit, and not interfere with the rudder. I'd like it to have a large roller for the mast. AND it should look good, too. Am I asking too much???

Thanks,
Dave

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Why would you want something used temporarily always in the way, unless you are going under bridges.

May 22, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Diego
How would it be in the way, and in the way of what? If built the way I have in mind, it wouldn't be in the way of anything I can imagine.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
It may just be a personal thing, I got rid of the split back stays on the Mac 25 because I dislike the way they scraped my arm when pulling on the outboard starter rope, they interfered with fishing, and without them the view was clearer. I would find having something built on to the stern rail annoying. Perhaps if you made it telescoping it would be less personally annoying. I have pictures of a cleaverly designed one made of wood that installs/uninstalls in seconds.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
The stock mast crutch is made of one inch sqaure tubing with attachments at the rudder gudgeons and a flat stock "V" at the top. I replaced the "V' with a roller. Don't have pics but somewhere in this forum are pictures of how it looks. Check with you local Mac dealer in SD or contact the Venture/Mac association in SD. They're a great bunck and can offer helpful advice or call Bluwater Yachts in Seattle @ 1-800-688-8626. They have Venture/Mac stuff. maybe they can help. I concur that I wouldn't have something permanently affixed for trailer. Will just get in the way. Fair winds and full sails....

Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
Photos?

Caguy do you have any photos? I would like to make a taller one for raising the mast.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
When I first got my boat it had a roller mounted to the aft rail on a 4 inch riser.

The mast rested there and on the pulpit for traveling and was pushed back for mast raising.

The roller had a slight bevel in it and was about 6 inches wide.

Sorry no pictures.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Here is the one I made up--
and do not forget to add a bar accross the bottom to keep it from twisting.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Caguy do you have any photos? I would like to make a taller one for raising the mast.
I'm not ignoring you biggs, I cannot find the camera that I took those pictures with. I will be at the marina today and take more pictures. It really is a clever design and one that I would use.
Here are some pictures of the stock support that I modified. Mounting on the gudeons is not very convenient.
Frank

Attachments

May 22, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Diego
Timebandit:

That's about what I have now, but I made mine of wood. Works fine, but the idea I have bouncing around in in my empty head would, I think, work lots better. I'll see if I can draw it and put it on the site here.

Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
Does anyone know of a source for a good stern mounted metal mast crutch for trailering? I want one that will be permanently mounted, preferably to the stern pulpit, and not interfere with the rudder. I'd like it to have a large roller for the mast. AND it should look good, too. Am I asking too much???

Thanks,
Dave
I think you will have to make it but it shouldn't be too hard.
The one on my 26S won't work but you could make something like it and mount it to the stern rail like you said. Your stern pulpit would need to have 2 rails though. If it only has 1, the mast crutch wouldn't stay vertical.
I really like having mine back there permanent. It's always there, I don't have to rig it and it's not in my way. I have only needed it once on the water, but I didn't have to remember t bring it!
Jim

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Here are pictures of the mast crutch on my neighbors boat. If I were to make it I would make it taller. I especially like the way it rest on the transom but notches onto the rail stanchions. A simple bungee will keep it attached to the rail at the post notch. A little wider notch and a plate would hook onto the rail and stabelize it that way, no bungee would be needed.

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
For those that do not have a 25 please note that it has a tiller that goes from the cockpit to the transom so that connections to from the rail to the transom on the center line will not allow stearing.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
You could make something nice out of stainless.

I just use wood for my traveling carrier but it would allow for stearing.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
For those that do not have a 25 please note that it has a tiller that goes from the cockpit to the transom so that connections to from the rail to the transom on the center line will not allow stearing.
The support shown is on a Mac25 and not intended to be used while using the boat. The intent is fast and easy installation and removal. I'm still not understanding why you would want a pemanent mast support in the first place, unless it is for bridge clearance.

May 22, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Diego
Two reasons actually (plus one not so serious):

1. One thing less to remove and stow; one less thing to re-install.

2. More stability when extending the mast aft to install on the base plate. (My wooden one starts to wiggle and I'm concerned it may someday give up the ghost at a time when it's needed most.)

3. A great place to dry towels.

Status
Not open for further replies.