Mast Base Info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chuck Mac Laren

I have a Hunter 27 1980. Here is my problem. at the base of the mast on the exterrior of the deck there is an indentation in the fiberglass it has been compressed over the years. This causes water to pool up and in turn laek through the deck and into the cabin liner and the new mast support. I have replaced the mast support and have even cut through thr cabin liner thinking I would be able to jack up the mast in order to support it and rmove the indentation where the water pools. Now I realize that the fiberglass that the mast base comes in contact with has a space between it and the cabin roof. If this space was filled with endgrain balsa as the caabin roof then It to has colapsed. By knowing what the design of this area of the boat was I hope to be able to come up with the best sollution to my problem.

J

Jim Bohart

think it's plywood

The deck materiel is plywood over the years you might have developed leaks in the bolts that hold the step in place and the wood has rotted. Try impregnating the wood with west epoxy and then filling the indentationd with fibergalss to raise and fair it in. You'll have to grind the old gel coat away. Or cut the entire area away and make it solid frp down to the compression post and then through bolt the step, JB

Status
Not open for further replies.