Mast Base Corrosion - Morgan 323

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2006
-Morgan 323 Port of Everett Marina
I am in the final stages of purchasing a 1984 Morgan 323. Surveyor pointed out some slight corrosion begining at the base of the mast. It has not yet attacked the mast and he feels if cleaned and treated it should be no issue. The rest of the boat checks out great with normal maintenance items needing attention like hoses and the like. Moisture levels were well below expected for a boat this old in the PNW. Does anyone have suggestions on how to treat the mast base plate?

Jan 2, 2009
beneteau 323 Riverside NJ
Hi Walter:
I am docked out of Riverside on the Delaware in NJ and last year I viewed a guy with the exact situation as yourself. He went the whole nine yards, pulled the mast, actually had the corrosion part cut right out(looked to be about 4-5 inches of mast) treated the new existing lower part of the mast with special corrosion inhibitor and away he went. I understood the boat was docked at Rock Hall Md for some time. I wondered how this actually occurred in the first place, as I would have thought that Rock Hall, at most, would have been maybe brackish water, but not total salt water. Any ways, for what it is worth and if the mast is out already, you might think about the above.

Jun 25, 2006
Mast Base corrosion

I was not very clear in my first post. The corrosion has not yet reached the mast as far as we can tell. It seems to be restricted to the base plate at this point. The mast is not out of the boat and I would rather not go there if I don't have to. I have attached a picture of the effected area. I also have some of the fuel lines are "weeping" just a little. Surveyor just suggested I replace the hose with approved hose. I included pictures of those areas as well. Thanks for the help in advance.

Attachments

Feb 2, 2009
Morgan 321 St. Petersburg Beach
RE: Mast Base corrosion

The '81 321 I recently purchased had the base plate replaced about 1 1/2 years ago at the suggestion of the surveyor hired by the folks I bought it from..but then they had the boat trucked from the Keys to St. Petersburg and dropping the mast was not an issue for them. Basically, if the plate cleans up - and the mast is not currently affected, the surveyor could be right. What would concern me though, is what you can't see.

Apr 30, 2009
NONE NONE Satellite Beach, FL
Question:

Why does the mast and mast base plate, rest in an area where water is allowed to pool, and collect, cuasing the corrosion issues? Can you close off this area?

Jun 25, 2006
Question:

Why does the mast and mast base plate, rest in an area where water is allowed to pool, and collect, cuasing the corrosion issues? Can you close off this area?
I believe you have the same basic boat with a keel stepped mast. The area is in the blige and if I close it off I would need to make sure the water can get from the front to the back. Also need to make sure we could still get the mast out. It really is not much of an issue now that I have a working bilge pump. I just need to stop the minor corrosion that is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.