Mast Base Compression

Apr 6, 2019
Hello,

I’m considering purchase of hull #1553 (1972). It has been reasonably maintained and includes some “voyaging”upgrades (new windvane, reinforced harness attachments). Unfortunately, the mast base has not been reinforced and has some evidence of sag visible below with associated cracks in gelcoat above. I would guess ~5-8mm of sag.

I can upload pics if helpful, though not sure how to include in this post.

Is there a degree of sag that’s a red flag or nessecitates a major repair vs simple reinforcement?

I realize this a routine issue with Vegas, but I’m having trouble finding a really clear description of the fix. I’ve read about the SS kits, but haven’t heard back from Steve Birch after attempting to email.

Any guidance very much appreciated. I’m excited about the prospect of getting this boat back in action and on the ocean.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Alameda, CA

Oct 15, 2015
Look in the photo section and see mast bulkhead reinforcement pictures listed. I have put some in there myself. Steve Birch's kit is very good. I used two plates instead of one. One fore and one aft and thru bolted. Also installed diagonal supports, 1/4 inch bolts around the bulkheads and 1/2" plywood laminates on the bulkhead bottoms. Whatever sag you have in the beam you need to correct before installing the bulkhead supports. Unfortunately this may involve removing the mast to relieve pressure on the beam and using a jack to massage things back into place. This is not a difficult job. We are here to help. Cheers and congratulations on the purchase of a fine vessel.

Sep 5, 2016
I fitted a stainless steel beam last year. I had it laser cut by a local company here in the UK. It’s not over expensive to do. I have attached the files in DXF (cad format) and PDF that I drew in order to get the profile cut. If you decide to using them I’d recommend printing a paper pattern out at full size and check that it fits before having it laser cut.

To fit it I simple drill holes in appropriate places and epoxied the plate on the forward side of the bulk head having first removed the boxing on the ceiling and the heads door. The profile is not symmetrical as I did not want to remove any of the lockers on the port side. Once you have the profile cut you can always trim to fit with a grinder if it is close to what you want! Always use a grinding disc that you know has not be contaminated by other materials that might leave rust streaks!

Whether you the attached or not you wont be disappointed in having a Vega even if there is a little work to get as you would like.

Fair Winds

Graeme Shimwell
Panacea UK

Sent: 16 April 2019 05:45
To: mike.a.pouliot@... [AlbinVega]
Subject: Re: [AlbinVega] Mast Base Compression

Look in the photo section and see mast bulkhead reinforcement pictures listed. I have put some in there myself. Steve Birch\'s kit is very good. I used two plates instead of one. One fore and one aft and thru bolted. Also installed diagonal supports, 1/4 inch bolts around the bulkheads and 1/2" plywood laminates on the bulkhead bottoms.
Whatever sag you have in the beam you need to correct before installing the bulkhead supports. Unfortunately this may involve removing the mast to relieve pressure on the beam and using a jack to massage things back into place. This is not a difficult job. We are here to help. Cheers and congratulations on the purchase of a fine vessel.

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Hi Graeme,
I did the same with a stainless steel piece (made
by Steve Birch) the same shape as the original bracing beam
that I through-bolted to the forward face of the bracing beam.
I followed this a year or two later by doubling
the thickness of the bracing beam.
However, after a season of sailing hard on
the wind over-canvassed on occasion, I noticed that the
starboard bulkhead had deformed by an inch of so at the upper
stbd extremity.
In fact, both the original bulkheads were
(slightly but noticably) buckling and "rolling forward" about
an imaginary athwarthships axis.

I bit the bullet and paid my boatyard serious
money to install a second thickness of very expensive
void-free Marine Grade ply, glued * bolted through. The new
bulkheads are co-planar with the old.
Also diagonal beams that transferred some
downward thrust from the outer extremities of the bracing beam
to the underwater hull immediately aft of the reinforced
bulkheads, port & starboard.
I expect that it is over-engineered but it is
nice not to have to worry about it..
Most of the cost was labour, the Marine grade
ply was about €200.

I can email photos if anyone is interested (I
posted previously on this list but the Dropbox links are
probably defunct).

John V1447 Breakaway

On 16/04/2019 11:15, Graeme Shimwell
gnshimwell@... [AlbinVega] wrote:

May 30, 2006
I dont have that problem with my Vega (1813), but when the mast compression topic comes up, I don’t ever remember it being a huge issue. Its just something that they fix and move on.If you can find your way to the home page of this yahoo email group, you can do searches of past discussions. VAST amounts of info and conversations carried out by some very very smart dudes and dudesses (some now gone). groundhogSent from my iPhone

Apr 6, 2019
I really appreciate all the responses. I definitely seems like a reasonable project to take on. Does anybody know if the SS Kits by Steve Birch are still available? If so, how do I get my hands on it.I was reviewing the history of the Single Handed Transpac Race (SF to HI) and a bit surprised not to see any Albin Vegas. I may take a shot at changing that in 2022.Thanks again. Mike

Oct 15, 2015
As far as contacting Steve B., I did a search of the website and found his contact info from an old forum. He is based out of the U.K. and is a real good fellow.

Apr 3, 2016
Hello I made my own plate using .25 Aluminum 7075 plate. This is aircraft structural aluminum with Tensile strength and Yield strength within the ballpark of Stainless steel. you can cut it with a jigsaw using a $6 blade and a can of DW 40 ( or cutting oil) I put in 2 and replaced the mahogany with white oak. It will last as long as you or your aluminum mast if corrosion worries you.. as others have indicated you will still need to address the bulkhead as you are just moving the weakest link farther down. you can replace the bulk head with a 3/4 ply by sawing 1/4 off your side trim and berths(6 pieces I think) Midwest aluminum and steel in Minnesota carries the 7075 plate. all the best Joe M On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:51 AM, "Jeffrey Thogmartin jeffthogmartin@... [AlbinVega]" AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi mike, I bought a kit from Steve birch last year. I believe he mentioned he only had one kit left after selling me mine. The email I used to contact him was steve@.... I do know sometimes he takes a few days to respond to emails so patience is key, but as was stated, he is a good guy and can be trusted. Hope this helps.JeffOn Tue, Apr 16, 2019, 11:07 PM mike.a.pouliot@... [AlbinVega], AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote: