Mariner 2+2

May 4, 2022
O'Day Mariner Miami
Hi. Just bought a 1976 Mariner 2+2. She looks in good shape but I would like to know what I should look for a boat of this age ?
Also, I have some water at the base of the mast support in the cabin. The piece of wood between the support and the hull is totally rotten.
  • Could the water come from there or is it another reason?
  • Any specific information about the size of this wood to be replaced?
Thanks for coop.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Hi. Just bought a 1976 Mariner 2+2. She looks in good shape but I would like to know what I should look for a boat of this age ?
Also, I have some water at the base of the mast support in the cabin. The piece of wood between the support and the hull is totally rotten.
  • Could the water come from there or is it another reason?
  • Any specific information about the size of this wood to be replaced?
Thanks for coop.
If your compression post is made of wood, it probably isn't original. The water is unlikely to have come from the base of the post. It may have run down from a leak around the tabernacle. It could also be settling in the area around the post from sweating moisture coming out of saturated floatation under the 'V' Berth or blowing into the foredeck air scoop, or even the bow hardware.

My compassion post is made of 1" metal, I assume stainless, tubing. It shouldn't require a lot of strength, 1" to 1-1/4" white oak or yellow pine should suffice.

Welcome to the forum, El Pinguino. It is always good to welcome a fellow Mariner owner. Have you looked into the Mariner Class Association? We are a good group of people. There are a few fellow Mariner owners in Florida. I live in New Hampshire, but am originally from the Sunshine State. Feel free to ask me anything you like, but honestly, most of these guys here have much more experience than I do. They are all willing to help. You will have fun.

-Will

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I would like to know what I should look for a boat of this age ?
Tell us a little about your boating experience.

These older boats usually have very similar issues but there are a few specific things to look for in each model. For the Mariner, you will want to pay attention to the cast iron centerboard. Often, it can be swollen with corrosion or pocked heavily. Inspect the cb lift cable.

Another big issue with Mariner owners are the undersized scuppers. Make sure the tubing between the drains in the cockpit sole and the thru-hull fittings under the boat are in good shape. Some people keep a small rotorouter to clear them.

Your hull number is etched into the transom on the starboard side of the rudder.
Hull ID Help - Mariner Class Association

-Will

May 4, 2022
O'Day Mariner Miami
Good day.

Thank you for your welcome and useful replies.

Regarding the compression mast, I’ll proceed to replace the part and let you know if I have any problem.
I am trying to register with the Mariner Class Association, but I have a difficulty with the hull number which format(?) is not accepted by the system. I have sent a msg and wait for their reply. According to what I red about the signification of the HIN, the boat has been built in February 1976. She was one of the last build by O’Day.

I have not seen the center board yet, but according to the former owner it is in good shape. I’ll check next time I’ll clean the bottom. I know that it is moving freely without suspicious resistance or noise.

Thank you for the scuppers info. I am planning to replace most of them since they are cooked by UV’s.

About my experience. I got interested by sailing around 10 years ago and bought a 30’ Hunter which I use in the Key Biscayne Bay and the keys for 4 years before she got badly damaged by another boat during a hurricane. I am specialized in running aground.... that is easy around here. After I retired I started to be interested again by sailing and took my time to identify the kind of boat I would like and finally decided for a small easy daysailer and the chance connected me with El Pinguino. I never raced but I have a neighbor who used to race and is really interested to sail with me. Fun in perspective. It's all you need at 70.

Thanks again for your kind attention and advises.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Key Biscayne Bay and the keys
I thought the water in your avatar picture looked like it was South of Miami.

If you still need help with the HIN formatting. I'll be happy to assist this evening. I'm the VP of Communications for the MCA.

-Will

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
El Pinguino,
When you sign-up for the MCA, there is a place for the Hull #, but it is not a required field. Although, if you enter data in it, it will require it be in the format of all numbers because it is referring to the Mariner build number, either by O'Day or Stuart Marine. This isn't the HIN, it is the number generally displayed as the sail number. My Mariner is a 1973 model, so my hull number is 2632, for instance. Since you own a '76 model, yours will be a higher number, probably in the 3000s, so four digits long.

I hope this helps.

-Will

May 4, 2022
O'Day Mariner Miami
Good Day,
Pursuing the understanding of El Pinguino’s condition, I have several questions that I will address separately in different threads.
Thank you for your cooperation

1/ There is water under the bed....
2/ Loose shrouds?