Mariner 2+2 Fiberglass Construction

Oct 2, 2021
Macgregor, O'Day 2-24 Canton
Hi Folks,

I posted in the Trailer Sailer forum (see: Flooded O'Day Mariner - Am I Crazy?) regarding a 1970 2+2 I came across. The TL;DR of that thread is the boat has sat for at least 18 years and is currently completely flooded with water (up past the companionway). While the interior is a complete loss, the hull and peripherals are serviceable. I was hoping to learn more about the boat's construction, specifically if there is any core anywhere within the cabin or cockpit that I should be concerned with as this would determine whether I continue to press the sale with the current owner.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

John

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
The two bulkheads are marine plywood as is the transom. And the forward bunks are also marine plywood. On mine there was a piece of Oak carved to fit the bow and the bow eye was attached to it, and the forestay chain plate was also attached to that. It may be still good.

Oct 2, 2021
Macgregor, O'Day 2-24 Canton
Thanks for that! Is the vee-berth exposed ply or is it glassed over as is the rest of the settees and whatnot? Also, I would imagine the quarter berths contain core for strength/rigidity but they appear quite narrow so pondering that one as well...