Marine Air conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Farrugia

I have been researching air conditioning units for installation in my new "used " boat. I am familiar with the reverse air of Marine Air and Mermaid air and also the Air conditioning with heating coil type such as Flag Ship Marine offers. Sizing the unit is a concern 14 btu/sqft seems to be the going standard. How does one calculate for the odd shape a sailing hull presents? I sail mostly the northern chesapeake bay, do not plan to get a generator anytime soon and will be tying up during the Hot summer days (3 small children) and really need the air and sometimes heat. Input on the different brands, ease of self installation and reliability are my main concern.

R

Robert

Marine Air info

I have a 34ODay with a 16000BTU Marine Air System with heat.I bought the boat in'96 so I don't know how old it is, but it has beenup to the job , both heat and air from 26 degrees(Panama City, Fla!) to 102 degrees (Ky.lake), although in the heat it did get up to 86 inside the boat.We had no awnings , so this was a true test,I think.Only problem,replace circulating water pump. My experience has been nothing but great with this unit. We lived aboard in SW Fla. for 1 year on the boat at a marina , so the air ran almost every day. It was installed by the previous owner, so I can't comment on installation. Good luck. Robert

J

John Farrugia

BTU calculation

Steve, From West marine's notes (Length X Width X Average HT)X 14 BTU's This is the calculation for BTU's required. Add each cabin area, salon area etc for total required. John

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Thanks John.

Thanks John, that sounds better. That equates to btu's/CU Ft. As far as a rough calculation break you boat into 3 sections. First the v-berth. Measure the width and divide by two=(w) measure the length (l), measure and estimate the height (average) (h) now multiple (w) x (l) x (h) x 2 = cu ft for v-berth. For the main salon area just get the width, length and average height and multiple them. Do the same for the aft quarters. Add the three results together and you should have a working number for CU Ft. When you do Air and Heat calcs you probably want to go with a slightly larger unit if in doubt. Just remember, these units are not going to work like a house unit, you don't have any insulation. It's just going to make it a LOT more comfortable.

E

Ed Schenck

Not much choice....,

either 12K or 16K for any boat over 30 feet. Next choice is two units. I went with 12K on my H37C. But there is much less interior space on the older designs. And Lake Erie water rarely gets above 70 degrees. The size and price differences are small with the Mermaid. Any doubts do the 16K. Ed(schencked@bfusa.com)

P

Peter Clancy

BTU Calculation Too High?

I used the BTU formula to calculate A/C size for my Catalina 320. It came to 22,680 BTU's but I the biggest units being used on the C320 are 16,000 BTU and these folks are satisfied, even in hot, humid climates. Is 14 BTU per cubic foot overkill?

J

John Farrugia

Final note........

All I spoke with the makers of the boat and they recommend two 16000 btu units. They did not have a measurement for me and I will second their numbers with my own calcs. Thanks to all John

Status
Not open for further replies.