Marieholm International Folkboat 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2012
Marieholm International Folkboat 26 Panama City
I am the proud new owner of a 1976 26' Marieholm International Folkboat. She's a charity case to be sure. A full hull restoration will be necessary (interior and exterior).

I have not seen any posts concerning this particular yacht and Marieholm is not listed in the brand specific forums.

Anyone here own or ever owned one of these beauties? I am about to embark on a long wonderful journey with this boat and would love to have as much external input as is possible.

I will have it hauled out this coming week to start the restoration which will begin with the bottom. Any advice concerning cleaning, stripping and re-painting? Any and all input will be appreciated.

Mar 4, 2012
A few "before" photos...

Attachments

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Congratulations.

I'm going to assume you are going to strip the old bottom paint and apply multiple barrier coats before you apply a new bottom paint. Don't be in a hurry to complete the bottom. Strip the old paint and wait as long as you can before applying a barrier coat. By the looks of the project this may work in your favor. This will allow the hull to dry out as much as possible. For health reasons, don't spend too much time in the cabin. That stuff growing on the interior can kill you. Here is a link to some effective ways of killing mold.

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html#bleach

Good luck with the project and keep us posted. Photos are great.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I'd clean her up, do the bottom, ditch all the soft goods (hold all the bad smells) or try to clean the cushion foam and covers for reuse, make sure she is sail-able and use her while you refurbish. Check the rig (including where the chainplates mount), thru hulls, keel bolts, hardware, running rigging and anything else that could cause calamity if it failed.
Head Mistress Peggy Hall can tell you about an enzyme that will kill bad odors in soft goods. Covers can be dry cleaned if still worth it. Enamel paints work fine for interiors and exterior grade fir plywood is also good for interior work if you need to go that far. If the gelcoat isn't ruined, I'd bring it back rather than paint. I had to paint as mine was shot.
I wouldn't bother with barrier coating unless there is evidence of osmosis. My boat is 45 years old this year and spent her life in the water with no blisters nor barrier coat. The blister phenomenon has to do with the quality of the labor and builders being tight fisted with resin during the wet out of the fiberglass when they lay up hulls.

Good website: http://www.solopublications.com/sailmarieif.htm
Cool boat!

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks for the advice. The link on mold killing seems very helpful.

I have the Marieholm IF page bookmarked. Thanks.

I do have a question about removing mold from teak, which I would like to bring back to its natural beautiful. The info on the mold killing link did not mention specifically the best way to kill mold on wood which will be subsequently clear finished. Due to the expense of replacing my teak interior, I would prefer to remove it, refinish it, then re-install it after demolding and refinishing the interior of the hull. As usual, any advice will be much appreciated.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Wood bleach (oxalic acid) might work. http://woodzone.com/Merchant2/articles/wood_bleach.htm

Edit: If you're talking about the teak bulkheads, you could strip th veneer, soak down the plywood with bleach and re-veneer. Their are a number of companies that sell exotic wood veneer.
I covered a couple of ugly bulkheads with Luan plywood (doorskin) (on my last boat) which is pretty this (3/16"?) and inexpensive. It doesn't match teak but offers enough contrast to look nice with teak trim. This is available at the box stores (home depot, etc) and pretty cheap.

Attachments

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
The importer used to live in Oxford, MD. She has passed away but there was quite the fleet in the Chesapeake Bay. I have raced them a lot and that one has been in New Orleans since about 1980 or so. The owner is a member of the Southern Yacht Club.
The name of the boat is Carpe Diem. He as kept the boat in excellent shape. We managed to win a few races there as well. However from the photos, I can see that what you need to do applies to anyboat. Check clickbert.com/IFBoat/. The sit is no longer maintained but it is very comprehensive including names of other owners and specifications, parts, etc. There is a large fleet in S.F. including the older wooden lapstrake ones. Also a very large fleet in Sweden.

Mar 4, 2012
Cayennita said:
The importer used to live in Oxford, MD. She has passed away but there was quite the fleet in the Chesapeake Bay. I have raced them a lot and that one has been in New Orleans since about 1980 or so. The owner is a member of the Southern Yacht Club.
The name of the boat is Carpe Diem. He as kept the boat in excellent shape. We managed to win a few races there as well. However from the photos, I can see that what you need to do applies to anyboat. Check clickbert.com/IFBoat/. The sit is no longer maintained but it is very comprehensive including names of other owners and specifications, parts, etc. There is a large fleet in S.F. including the older wooden lapstrake ones. Also a very large fleet in Sweden.
Which one has been in New Orleans since 1980? Please clarify. Are you referring to my boat?

Oct 29, 2010
Hunter 36 Pensacola
Mark for that woven glass with the mold growing in it. I am thinking there was carpet over it...Try Kiltz. It may add a little weight but may work. I am sure they have some "marine" version that is more expensive.
Tony

Sep 7, 2012
marie holm international folkboat Port Jeff
Congratulations

I bought a 1979 Marie Holm IF last August 2011. I removed all the teak veneer interior and floor covering. Most of it cleaned up very well with teak cleaner and bleach, excluding the companion bulkhead. I was able to replace that with marine grade 1/2" African Sapelle. It matches the teak veneer in the rest of the boat very well. The floor covering came from Defender Industries. Both items improved the interior greatly. If your interested I'll send you some pictures. Mine has a Volvo inboard which required major work(head milled, new rings). That work is completed, the engine runs well and I nicknamed it African Queen(a one banger). You didn't mention if your boat is inboard or outboard. I'll be happy to share with you anything that could help you during your restoration. Good luck with your refurbishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.