Marathon Florida anchorage ?

Feb 26, 2024
hardin voyager Key West
Anyone in Marathon Florida that can recommend a good anchorage On the Atlantic side?
Vessel, 45” has a 6-ft draft. I need to do some engine repairs. I will need to be towed to the location. Vessel is currently on a private dock. Unfortunately Seatow and boatUS both require a minimum of 30-60 days to tow from a dock, So advice on that as well would be appreciated.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Key West to Marathon is a long tow. A couple of years ago we broke down in KW while anchored. We picked a good day and sailed off the anchor and up to just outside Marathon and called TowBoat for a tow the last few miles.

Marathon has 3 anchorages, just out side the Boot Key Harbor entrance, In side BKH near the Municipal Mooring Field, and Sister Creek. The 2 anchorages inside BKH are well protected and in most you should be OK with 6' draft. However, the anchorages inside are usually quite crowded and there is derelict boat problem in the harbor, which is slowly being addressed.

The anchorage outside is pretty good, but can get bouncy.

There is an active Boot Key Harbor Facebook Group that can be pretty helpful.

• Helpful
Feb 26, 2024
hardin voyager Key West
Thank you so much for the information. I contacted the harbor to see if I can get on a ball but there's 13 people ahead of me.

Jan 11, 2014
Thank you so much for the information. I contacted the harbor to see if I can get on a ball but there's 13 people ahead of me.
A lot people on the moorings are waiting to cross over to the Bahamas. When we were there the waiting list quite long and we anchored out. One morning we went into get a dinghy pass and were offered a mooring instead. Hard to predict how long the wait will be.

Feb 26, 2024
hardin voyager Key West
Thanks for the tip I guess when I get back up there I will put my name on the list and hope for the best. just getting really stressed out with all the “what ifs “ And hurdles to get back on the water . The sad thing is I'm not even stressed about the repairs it's just a place to put it while doing the work to make her seaworthy again.

Jan 11, 2014
Anyone familiar with this spot 24°43'55.8"N 81°00'41.9"W
If it has sufficient depth this spot would be great temporarily
I'm not familiar with this area. Google Maps shows a sailboat anchored there. Florida FWC has been pretty aggressive lately about derelict boats in the area. You might be better off getting the boat hauled and put on the hard while you sort out your problems.