MapTech software support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 36 Newburyport, MA
As a long-time (and very satisfied) user of MapTech's Offshore Navigator, I was saddened to hear of the company founder's death and the subsequent decision to break-up the assets and sell them to different companies in the Charts and Marine Software markets.

I understand that the paper charts business has a new home, and that the company OEM-manufacturing the bundled software-plus-hardware device has picked up some technical people. The land navigation software has also found a home.

However, I can find no info about the new home (if any) for the marine software assets and people.

The support@maptech.com link no longer works, and I'd very much like to get 2009 tides and currents updates.

Does anyone here know whether the Navigator software products have a new home, and where it might be?

Fair Winds,
Al

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
MAPTECH was bought out (last February?) by Richardson Publishing in New Bedford, MA. I thought they bought both the paper and digital charting parts of the company? But I could be wrong. Lee Estes, President of Richardson is a former MapTech employee and I have found him to be very helpful when I've talked to him. I used to work for a store that sold both MapTech and Richardsons products, I'll see if I can find anything out from my friend who is/was a sales rep for Maptech.
I was disappointed when it appeared that the MapTech website www.freeboatingcharts.com no longer seemed to work! I enjoyed being able to use that to add to the library of charts accessable with my Offshore Navigator Light software!

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Chart Downloads

I was able to download a chart from NOAAs website and use it with my Maptech software though it was not as easy as it was with the Maptech website it did work.

NOAA may have the tide info also.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Rick, I forgot about that! I haven't tried the NOAA downloads yet, I did know about that option though......when I was selling MapTech and Richardsons, we also were a big NOAA chart dealer.
I'll have to give the NOAA site a try! THANKS!

Oct 8, 2008
Sunbeam 37 Fajardo, PR
About 4 months ago I acquired some (year old) Maptech charts and Offshore Navigator light. When I tried to install it I had problems and was able contact their support people. They were extremely helpful at the time. I have been busy with other things and haven't followed up but now I'm trying to sort out all of my charting options and available software for a cruise through the Bahamas.

Here are some of the things that I found:
Several months ago, Michael Bogannam was the technical guy who helped me. I received email from support@maptech.com and from Michael@maptech.com I don't know if those will still work.

I did find some information about free downloads at:
[FONT=&quot]http://mapserver.mytopo.com/API/ChartDownload/[/FONT]
But in a quick try I was unable to download anything, though I could see some charts online.
Also, this website seems to work:
[FONT=&quot]http://www.maptech.com/support/[/FONT]
and it includes some links to documents that explain how to get free charts, etc. I'll try some of that today.

Now!!! I'd appreciate any information that anyone would care to share about the quality and accuracy of any charts of the Bahamas. I plan on using paper charts, my laptop, a Garmin chartplotter and a Raymarine chartplotter. Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Bill

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 36 Newburyport, MA
While www.maptech.com didn't seem to work as a gateway into support, by following Bill Earl's above suggestion of simply using www.maptech.com/support/ I found the following:

"For Maptech's digital marine offerings, including Offshore Navigator, Chart Navigator, Chart Navigator Pro, Sea Ray Navigator and i3 Touch Screen Navigation Systems please call 978-834-9953 for technical assistance or 978-834-9950 for sales inquires."

The technical support number only yielded a (stale) answering machine message, but the sales number was answered very pleasantly by the same voice as in the recording, and its owner gladly sold me a tides-and-currents update CD for $25+tax+shipping ($35.25), just like the old days.

He answered as "KPM Marine," but Google-ing it yielded only what appeared to be a German firm. If as promised the CD ships today I may find out more about its sender.

Thanks for the simple-but-effective URL suggestion (which made me slap my forehead and mutter "of course" when I read it).

Fair winds,
Al
s/v Persephone

E

ex-Maptech employee

Maptech

Most of what is in this thread is accurate...
Richardsons' purchased the paper division. They can be reached at 800-873-4057 or 508-990-9020.

KPM Marine was created by an ex-Maptech employee. Call 978-834-9953 for technical assistance or 978-834-9950 for sales inquires on Offshore Navigator, Chart Navigator Pro, and the various digital chart offerings. They can be reached by email at: support@maptechnavigation.com. They are a real small operation - but run by good, honest folks, so please be patient as they come up to speed. The "Mike" mentioned earlier in this thread now works for KPM.

For The CAPN, call Star Technologies at 703-759-2933 or email support@thecapn.com.

Maptech's Free Boating Charts service was discontinued. Those seeking free nautical charts can download them from http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/charts.htm#RNC.

The MapServer for free online display of current and historical USGS Topographic Maps and NOAA Nautical Charts had been off-line for several months. The MapServer is back online at http://mapserver.mytopo.com. The Historic Map collection is now available at http://historical.mytopo.com.

Captn. Jack's was a catalog and Internet retailer that was owned and operated by Maptech. Captn. Jack's liquidated its inventory in the Spring of 2008 and is no longer in business.

Hope that clears things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.