Manufacturing a "sail gate"

• Thread starter Andrew Monaghan
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew Monaghan

After writing my "Stopper Bolt in Mast Groove" article (5/31) and receiving some helpful replies I sailed my boat this weekend and realized the track stop will not work the way I want it to work. I inquired through Catalina's web site and they suggested I install a "sail gate" which would allow the slugs to fall all the way to the boom. I believe this is indeed the solution, unfortunately the Catalina parts department does not carry them. They suggested I have one manufactured. Has anyone out there had a sail gate manufactured for a Catalina 25? I would love to get some advice on the proper specifications and materials for a sail gate. Even better would be a contact with someone who has manufactured one of these before. Please reply if you can give some advice. Thank you! Andrew Monaghan

Z

Zephyrus

Sail Gate

I had a Catalina 25 that had a sail gate! It was real crude but it was slick. I could reef the main from the cockpit. What this guy had done was using an old style aluminum screen door thresh hold the part on the floor with the rubber gasket. He cut the front edge off wich was half round with a flat lip. Cut two pieces the size of the opening in the mast put the rounded part to the mast and stuck the lip in the sail slot. Drilled holes in the aluminum and the mast (2 each piece) and attached with stainless steel sheet metal screws. You need to be able to remove them to take on/off the sail. You will need to File a V shape in the top of the Gate for the slugs to slide past smoothly.Some times it would stick I would raise the sail alittle and they would fall in better. I know you don't have the Old screen door. I just thought this would give you a direction to head off in. After all this I think I seen some for sell maybe the C25 web site?

A

Andrew Monaghan

Good Tip!

Thanks Zephyrus for the tip on C25 website! I found plans for a mast gate at http://www.best.com/~c25c250/restricted/nymslot.html It looks like what I need! Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.