manual including impeller

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg

Does anyone know where I can find the additional info for the Perkins 4.154 engine, the manual I have makes no refferance to the impeller and sea strainer. I have to replace the impeller. I would think there would be matainance with the sea strainer. I have looked all over the internet with no luck Thanks Greg

R

Richare

impeller

Greg, I have a 1972 Morgan out island 41, 413. It has a Westerbeke 4-107. I think it is similar to the Perkins. I have totally rebuilt my boat. There was a fire in the engine room and I bought her for an insurance.had to add my own raw water strainer and replace the impeller twice and the raw water pump itself once. I have the standard size metal strainer that I check on a regular basis. You want to make sure you have not sucked something up while you've been running. The impeller I change once a season whether it needs itor not. I keep a spare on board just in case I need to make a change while I'm out. It's a fairly simple project,if getting to it is no problem. Just take off the screws off the outside of the pump. Remove the cover pull the old impeller off and put the new one on. Make sure you clean off the oldgasget and put a new one on. Also mine has a key that fits on the pump shaft. Be careful not to loose the key. Mine is not attached. ( I've done it before) Look for any broken pieces of the impeller. If you are missing some blades, you need to find them. You don't want them floating through the engine. They'll stop up the water flow and you'll have bigger problems. (Never had that happen) I always take a plastic wire tie and prebend the impeller with the wire tie. It will hold it in place and make it eaiser to install. I hope this helps. Richard

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Perkins Parts Procurement Procedures

Hey Greg; I'll bet you're not using Google as a search! I typed "perkins+diesel+part", and got over 10 PAGES of hits on Perkins! Below is a link to Perkins company: from there you can contact suppliers all over the world. I checked one out... they offer parts manuals, service manuals, and what appears to be all of the parts for you 4-154 as well as dozens of other Perkins modela. Let us know how you make out... Jim s/v: The Merry Bee Ocean Gate, NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.