Mantus M1 (new style) on 1995 Catalina 36

Oct 5, 2012
Catalina 34 Menominee, MI
Hi Folks,
Has anyone mounted a Mantus M1 on a Catalina 36? I have a 1995 MKII. I understand that Mantus recently modified the M1's shank, which may affect how it sits in the bow roller.

Dan
s/v Hiatus
1995 Catalina 36 MKII

Oct 5, 2012
Hi Folks,
Has anyone mounted a Mantus M1 on a Catalina 36? I have a 1995 MKII. I understand that Mantus recently modified the M1's shank, which may affect how it sits in the bow roller.

Dan
s/v Hiatus
1995 Catalina 36 MKII

Oct 5, 2012
Hi Folks,

Dan
s/v Hiatus
1995 Catalina 36 MKII

Oct 5, 2012
That's encouraging information. I'm looking at the 45# anchor. Leslie, what size are you carrying?

I'm using the OEM roller, if I can. I understand that my 1995 is the first year of the MKII. I don't have the roller specs, and I'm in Wisconsin, the boat's in Florida-though I'll be there on Wednesday (ask me how happy I am).

Thanks for the responses. I've found a template for the anchor on Mantus' website. I plan to print that out to do some real world testing before I make my buy.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Look at the Mantus web site. I think they have a way to print a paper anchor you can make a model to test on your boat. Does not hold on the water, but it will let you test the fit.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
That's encouraging information. I'm looking at the 45# anchor. Leslie, what size are you carrying?

I'm using the OEM roller, if I can. I understand that my 1995 is the first year of the MKII. I don't have the roller specs, and I'm in Wisconsin, the boat's in Florida-though I'll be there on Wednesday (ask me how happy I am).

Thanks for the responses. I've found a template for the anchor on Mantus' website. I plan to print that out to do some real world testing before I make my buy.
35lb -120’ 5/16 G4 250’ of 5/8 8-plait.
Good luck
Be sure and join the Catalina 36/375 International Association. Best $35 you’ll spend on your boat!!! Catalina36.org and on FB Catalina 36/375 IA

Les

Oct 5, 2012
Thanks Les. Yep, I'll be joining the organization. I'm stepping up from a '34 and belonged to the C34IA. That's a marvelous site. Did a few project postings of my own there.

Dan

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
@dancrosswis@gmail.com
Hi Dan. Les and their websites are great resources for you, we'll miss you on our site, best of luck.

Any reason for a 45#er? Sounds a tad hefty for a C36.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
@dancrosswis@gmail.com
Hi Dan. Les and their websites are great resources for you, we'll miss you on our site, best of luck.

Any reason for a 45#er? Sounds a tad hefty for a C36.
I Agree the 35# has kept me very germ in some good blows. Hopefully you have a strong windlass to pull it off the bottom.
Stu: On a positive note Trish is retiring first week of December so we’ll be able to visit once the travel ban is lifted!!

Les

Oct 5, 2012
My wife and I will be cruising for about the next 8 months. We plan to winter in the Bahamas and then, hopefully, bring our boat home to Wisconsin on her bottom following the eastern side of the Loop. So, we expect to see a variety of bottoms and weather.

The boat is at the small end of the Mantus’s “cruising” recommendation range for the 45# anchor. “Cruising” is defined as winds up to 50 knots. Admittedly, I’ve only experienced winds of that strength at anchor once.

The boat’s windlass only has a rope capstan, no chain gypsy. I’ll be carrying 70’ of chain, the rest 3-strand rode. And, I suffered through a herniated disk this spring. The fewer pounds of the 35# anchor would benefit both my windlass and my back. BTW, I’ll use the windlass to raise both chain and rope. I expect to chew the hell out of the capstan and upgrade the windlass after the trip.

My plan now is to template both the 35# and 45# anchors and check them for fit. Fit may control my decision. If both fit, I’ll stand up straight, stretch my back, imagine myself hauling up the anchor every few days, then imagine a scary wind blowing over a low lying island, and make my decision.

Thanks for the help,

Dan

PS. Stu, I meant what I said about the 34 site. It’s the best organized and richest owners’ site I know.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The boat is at the small end of the Mantus’s “cruising” recommendation range for the 45# anchor. “Cruising” is defined as winds up to 50 knots.
This is another source for cross checking which you might have seen from your "olden days":
Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Swivels Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels

I’ll be carrying 70’ of chain, the rest 3-strand rode.
From that thread is this gem:
Steve’s Anchoring 101

The Rocna. All 20kg of it with 100ft of chain. The rest of the world can debate all they like. When I pull into a place like Bodega Bay at midnight and the fog is so thick I can't see the jetty 50 feet away to make an entrance, I drop my hook in the rolling ocean swells with the surf crashing (Foster says it's like staying in a cheap Best Western beside the highway), and I sleep. And in the morning I have a windlass to pull the beast up and I wouldn't trade it for anything. (I also wouldn't add more chain - this works perfectly in 25 to 30 feet of water - you let all the chain out and you tie off nylon at the preferred scope and don't bother with snubbers and chain hooks and all that stuff...)

I suffered through a herniated disk this spring.
I just started with one last month. Hope you recovered w/o surgery. I dunno about mine yet, too soon to tell.

Stu, I meant what I said about the 34 site. It’s the best organized and richest owners’ site I know.
Thanks, took many, many folks, including you. You'll find the C36 group just as helpful and friendly.