making space for a driversaver

Jan 9, 2020
J J/42 1 New Castle NH
I'm replacing the running gear and want to install a Driversaver, but am out of space. See enclosed pic. I need 1/2 to 3/4" to back the packing nut off to maintain the packing gland. Am thinking I could cut the stern tube back a bit or even the barbed end of the packing tube? Has anyone done this trying to make room or any other wisdom before I do anything too permanent? Many thanks. WSC
IMG_1993.jpg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I have to admit, that is one of the tightest arrangements I have seen for a gland and stern tube. I've got to wonder what it would be like repacking the gland with those clearances. I've never bothered looking at mechanical seals so I don't know what their length would be be compared to a packing gland but I suspect it would be longer, so no help there.

This Drivesaver strikes me as a "Nice to Have" addition to your drive train. Because I spend so much time tinkering with my boat in the winter here, I have considered installing one in the past more for something to do rather than a "must have". I'm afraid in this case, I would forgo the Drivesaver rather than risk compromising either the packing gland or the stern tube. You never know how much torque the packing material is applying to the gland or the stern tube and I'd hate to find out it was too much at the wrong time :yikes: .

Jan 9, 2020
J J/42 1 New Castle NH
Yep. no where near enough space. think i'm going with a dripless shaft seal instead.

Jan 9, 2020
J J/42 1 New Castle NH
doesn't matter since its a sealed unit, but the dripless is about 2" shorter and compresses back towards the stern tube as part of the install. So I should be able to see `3" of shaft. will advise once all installed.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
So I should be able to see `3" of shaft.
Excellent. Now all you have to worry about is all the BS about renewing the bellows every six years or so.

Haul the boat, pull the shaft, remove the flange ....................... sorry about that. Everything on a boat is a compromise and I think the dripless is the best compromise in this situation.

Let us know how it works out when completed.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Excellent. Now all you have to worry about is all the BS about renewing the bellows every six years or so.
Or take a look at the Lasdrop Gen Ii dripless seal. Not as popular as the PSS but I think it's because they only recently started making them for our 'smaller' shaft sizes

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You could look at the Volvo lip seal.

looks pretty compact and doesn’t require much maintenance. Other than a squirt of lube and a burp.

9670C68D-5DFB-40F7-AFCA-2A663E5E7765.jpeg

Greg