making progress

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
hey everyone, tackling the electrical this week on the old Grampian, tore out all the existing wiring a few months ago and now working on replacing it.
I added a new electrical box that hinges down and I've already rewired most of the 120v circuit, only one plug left, the one for the battery charger.
on the 12v circuit, I'm almost done with the basic circuits, I haven't tackled the mast wiring yet, still have to buy the wires for the mast as well.
let me know what you think of it.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Looking good!

A couple of comments.

More wire ties, bundle the wires it will be neater.

Hard wire the battery charger, don't use a plug. The plug introduces more connections and more points of failure. Also it is less secure than a hard wire installation.

• Helpful
Aug 17, 2013
I'm planning on adding some wire ties, just want to finish placing the cables first, but I agree it will make it look neater.

so you're telling me that I should cut the cord and splice it to the power cable?

Jan 11, 2014
I'm planning on adding some wire ties, just want to finish placing the cables first, but I agree it will make it look neater.

so you're telling me that I should cut the cord and splice it to the power cable?
There should be a circuit breaker between the shore power connection and any other AC device. The charger should be on its own breaker. Ideally, the shore power should come into the boat go to a ELCI breaker on an AC panel. One circuit would go to the outlets and another to the charger. Since you have an outboard, a galvanic isolator is less of a concern.

Aug 17, 2013
the shore power does go straight in a breaker, at the moment I only have one breaker for both circuits, but I'm planning on adding another.
Now you got me curious, what is an ELCI breaker? my setup is a double pole breaker

Jan 11, 2014
the shore power does go straight in a breaker, at the moment I only have one breaker for both circuits, but I'm planning on adding another.
Now you got me curious, what is an ELCI breaker? my setup is a double pole breaker
An ELCI is sort of like a GFCI, if there is AC leakage into the ground circuit, it trips the breaker. This prevents AC current from leaking into the water. If your AC and DC circuits are completely isolated from the water, an ELCI isn't really necessary. You are correct to have a Double pole breaker protecting both the hot and neutral wires. Add the extra AC breaker for the charger, it won't be that expensive and will make the boat safer.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Rewiring is a big job. Few folks know how to make neat bundles (marine, aviation, aerospace, military) but it is worth it in the long run. Also you might consider creating wireing diagrams. The more detail the better. This will help you or the next owner troubleshoot.

Ken

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I always liked the idea (right or wrong) to plug my battery charger into a dedicated outlet. Then I could run an extension cord to the charger, or plug it into a small generator when off shore power.

Greg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Rewiring is a big job. Few folks know how to make neat bundles (marine, aviation, aerospace, military) but it is worth it in the long run. Also you might consider creating wireing diagrams. The more detail the better. This will help you or the next owner troubleshoot.

Ken
I try to plan and run wires in the boat as if the wires are the wiring diagram.

My hope is that the neatly bundled and color coded wiring reveals itself to a new set of eyes as a clear wiring diagram, and they can proceed from there.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Fred, rewiring takes time but it looks like you are doing it right. I like the way your panel opens with the hinge on the bulkhead, giving you really good access.
My new to me boat had some "interesting" wiring modifications over the years. Some really made me nervous so I pulled a lot of it out. This the pile of wires I removed. It has mostly been replaced but a bunch was just not necessary.
20200919_134459.jpg

Aug 17, 2013
thanks Darcy, I even went all in and bought a P-Touch and every wire is labelled, so no hand written label that fades away with time.
I say the idea on the hinged panel on sailing anarchy I believe and I loved the idea.
the location is a lot better than what the PO did, on the front of the aft settee, down low near the water line
Today was a busy day at the RYC, we are getting ready to expand our storage compound, so being a coop we spent the morning cutting asphalt and digging for the posts.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice job Fred... :biggrin: Very nice.:clap:

I started such a challenge last December. We are progressing. I have the extraordinary help of @LeslieTroyer as I modify wiring on my 46 year old boat. It will not look of function the same. It will be much better. I suspect I will have a pile much like @DArcy when it is all said and done.

Aug 17, 2013
here are the progress done this week, did a lot of the wiring, almost done, just have the battery terminals to wire and route the main 12v to the breaker panel, here is what my rotted chainplate looks like, I'll address it next week.
no work this weekend as I'm headed to my uncle's funeral, he's the one who introduced me to sailing.

Attachments

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
That bulkhead looks a little rough.
Let me know if you are looking for a shop to fabricate new chainplates. A sailing friend owns a machine shop and he will probably be the best price in town other than doing it yourself.

• Helpful