Maintenance of PSS Shaft Seal....

May 10, 2004
Hunter 340 Bremerton, WA up from Woodland
I have a 2001 Hunter with a Yanmar 3gm30f. I had a PYI PSS seal installed 3 years ago and do a visual inspection at every use. I have noticed a small amount (1/4 cup or so) of water collected under the seal occasionally and am wondering if the yard put enough compression under the bellows. I am probably 2-3 years away from a bellows replacement but am contemplating re-compressing the bellows. I know from the excellent advice on this board to use new set screws. Now for the questions:

In loosening the rotor, how best to lubricate the O-rings to slide it back to the neutral point, and then re-compress? Should I squirt liquid soap into the gap between the rotor and shaft on the coupling side? I guess I am worried that salt water on the bellows side may be putting a 'set' on the bellows side of the O-rings and if I try to move the rotor it might roll or otherwise distort the O-rings. Should I 'twist' the rotor axially while trying to move it longitudinally?

The shaft is fairly clean and bright between the rotor and coupling

As always, your most excellent advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

bria46

Jan 15, 2011
Oday 272 Waukegan, IL, Sarasota, FL
I would contact the manufacturer and ask them BEFORE you modify or change their product!