Mainsheet

Jul 11, 2024
O'Day 23 Island Heights
What thickness and how long of a sheet do we need to buy for our O'Day 23 foot? Need to replace what's there (probably original) and it seems too thick cannot grab in the cleat and way too long. Thanks

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I think a mainsheet should be of sufficient size that it is easy to grasp as almost any size would work on a small boat like that.
I don't know about other sailors, but I try to keep my mainsheet almost long enough for the boom to go all the way out to the after lower shroud.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You need to look at the blocks the sheet will go thru. Sheets that are too thick will not run smoothly.
It will be worthwhile to do the homework on this. Spend some time on the web sites of the venders of cordage to make a choice. Some of the characteristics you'll want to consider are the stretchiness, uv resistance, hockle resistance, flexibility, "hand", slipperiness, and cost.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
On a 23 foot boat, I would keep it 5/16 or smaller. On my 27 footer I use 5/16 Samson Trophy Braid. It's a basic club level double braid line that won't break the bank. The core is polyester, the cover is spun polyester which gives it a "fuzzy" look and feel. Really comfortable in the hand. Stretch isn't as important in sheets as it is with halyards. You should know the purchase on your mainsheet tackle system.. just count the number of laps the line makes between the boom and bottom block. If you do this before removing the old line it'll be easier. Then push the boom all the way out as far as it will go, and measure that distance between the boom end block and the traveler car end. Move the traveler car to the end if you like. Okay, all you have to do is multiply that distance measurement by the purchase laps an add a few extra feet... and you're set. Tie a knot in the end of the mainsheet after installation so it doesn't accidently run out. Easy peasy. Good luck.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO forum.
Congratulations on finding your own boat. With over 1500 23’s built in the time span 1972 to 1984 and the owners of these boats being free to customize the boat to their desires, giving you an exact length to buy a Mainsheet is impossible. The posted responses provide the tools to help you get a practical solution. Better to be a little long than short.

A method, use the current line and push the boom out to the stay, sit in the cockpit and mark the line near the cam-cleat block. The line should be at full extension. The shortest length. Now add a couple of feet to have a tail to grab and make 2 marks on the line. You have the approximate length of the Mainsheet.

You can do this with the boat on the trailer, the mast up, and your crews assistance.

Take a pictures of the line in the blocks for reference so you can install the line back in the blocks.

Then remove the Mainsheet from the boat and measure.

I would look for a double braid polyester (Dacron) line in your choice of color. The line should feel easy in your hand. The diameter needs to fit the size of the sheaves in the blocks on your boat. Fit is identified as a little less than the width of the groove in the sheave so that the line can run smoothly in the sheave.

If unsure take one of the blocks from your Mainsheet rig to the store and try several different line diameters in the block. Your looking for large enough line that feels good when you grip it, yet at a size that moves easily (no friction) in the block.

Best of luck. It’s ok to experiment.

Nov 26, 2009
oday 25 Munice Sailing Club
Contact D&R MARINE, INC. ASK FOR RUDDY, HE WILL HAVE JUST WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.
P.O. BOX. 921
14 WATER STREET
ASSONET,MA
PHONE. 508-644-3001