MAINSAIL RIGGING

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phlocker

2 Questions regarding the Mainsail on the 146 -is there only one rope (outhaul) that goes through/attaches to the end of the boom? I have a 5" piece of black rope that was attached back there but cant figure out why -is there a way to leave the main halyard attached to the sail when lowered and still keep the boom up at a 90 degree angle to the mast> I have a sail cover and would like to lower the sail, cover the sail and keep the boom up. Now i detach the main halyard and hook it to the back of the boom to keep it up thanks

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Topping Lift

I think I would be real tempted to add a topping lift. My 170 has one. It's really just a line tied to the top of the mast that is then tied off to the end of the boom. You might have to add a couple pieces of hardware to tie it to, but that would be pretty easy. Does a 146 have reefing points on the main sail? Just wondered, that's what my extra line on the boom is for. The 146 is a pretty boat. I almost bought a 146, but the wife wanted something bigger.

B

Brian

boom kicker

My 170 has a topping lift as well. But I find that a boom kicker is much better. It holds the boom up in place of the topping lift and with the boom vang, makes the height of the boom easier to adjust when under sail. I leave my boat rigged and have a sail cover. So I am able to leave the hailard attached to the sail since the boom kicker holds up the boom. There are many posts on the 170 forums regarding a boom kicker. Brian

P

phlocker

boom kicker

I dont see a boom kicker made for the 146. Will the one for the 170 work on the 146?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Yes, the smallest model

...will work for the 146. We don't have it listed on the site but give us a call and we can provide it for you. 877-932-7245. ph.

Status
Not open for further replies.