Mainsail downhaul

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
One thing that's still a difficult thing for me and typically requires me to leave the cockpit is bringing down the mainsail. I have a line rigged as a downhaul for the main, and have it attached to the main halyard, but it inevitably bends the top of the mainsail and flaps out away from the mast and the mainsail gets caught and doesn't come down.

I have some mainsail "sliders" that I'm going to replace, and I got the spray lubricant to make it flow easier in the track, and I've not installed those yet; but thought I'd ask if there are things I should be doing to fix that. I kind of hate when I can't bring it down as it adds stress.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
McLube SailKote is your friend in this application. The main should drop freely when the halyard is released. Is your downhaul below the headboard of the main? I'd think you'd want it attached a couple of sliders below the headboard.

Feb 28, 2022
Okay thanks - I have the SailKote, but haven't applied it yet. Is it enough to spray it on the sliders, or do I need to bring the mast down and spray down the whole track?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Tie the downhaul to one of the sliders/grommets BELOW the top one, where the halyard is attached. If you want to clean and lube the entire track, tie a messenger line to a spare slider that you've wrapped in something soft, like terry cloth. Hook the halyard to the top end, squirt some lube on the cloth, and run it up and down the track a few times.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Tie the downhaul to one of the sliders/grommets BELOW the top one, where the halyard is attached. If you want to clean and lube the entire track, tie a messenger line to a spare slider that you've wrapped in something soft, like terry cloth. Hook the halyard to the top end, squirt some lube on the cloth, and run it up and down the track a few times.
A cheap track-cleaning system I bookmarked awhile back: Main hard to raise

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Cleaning and lubing should fix ya, no need for a downhaul. The main should drop like a stone.

EDIT - unless you're sailing a very broad reach or dead run. In which case, head up, THEN drop the main. :biggrin:

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
I moved up from a C22. It had a downhaul on the jib, but not the main. The main dropped, like others have said, as soon as I released the halyard.
So lube is a good idea. If you still need the downhaul, I think you should move the attachment point down a few sliders, so you get a good downward tug on a section of the luff, rather than just pulling on the top.

Feb 28, 2022
Thanks all - I replaced all the mainsail sliders (they were pretty gunky) and then I did @garymalmgren 's approach to lubricate the mainsail track a few times and the difference was pretty astounding. It dropped like a rock afterwards. I removed my mainsail downhaul and am planning on setting up an aft-led reefing system with the room it left me.

Feb 28, 2022
That's a great idea. I kept the section of line that I tied up, but your's looks way better!