Maine Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Yesterday, I motored in rain and haze up into Cobscook Bay. I stopped in an anchorage which, on a combined score of remoteness, wildness, and beauty has few, if any, equals on the coast. I explored in the dinghy and picked mussels and snails off the rocks under clearing skies while eagles flew overhead.

I woke from a short, post lunch nap to blue skies and a freshening breeze. The anchor was soon up and I had a booming sail up to the other end of the bay close reaching at up to seven knots with one reef in. I realized suddenly that this would be the last time I ever sail in a named bay or major body of water in Maine that I haven’t seen before. As Johnny Cash sang, “I’ve been everywhere, Man, I’ve been everywhere.” Mix of emotions, that.

Returned to the previous night’s anchorage for a spaghetti sauce of the mollusks, olive oil, garlic, white wine, and spinach. Just after washing up, I heard what I thought was an outboard boat approaching. I stuck my head out and it was a wall of wind from the north. The next thing I noticed was the trees on shore going by at a brisk rate. I jumped out, started the engine, and started pulling in the anchor line.

It turned out that I wasn’t actually dragging. The current had carried me way up to the limit of the considerable scope required in these waters and the wind was simply blowing me down the over a football field length to the other limit. The change in wind direction had me closer to one shore than I felt comfortable with though so I had some after dinner exercise moving and resetting closer to the other side. All was calm by the time I went to sleep.

I don’t want to risk customs overtime charges so I’m going to poke around the Eastport area and go up the U.S. side of the St. Croix River today and cross over into Canada tomorrow with Saint Andrews as my first stop. The next time I see Maine, the leaves should be starting to turn.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Beautiful, that's what we're talkin' about! Only pictures would make it better. I'll be following on Google Earth. Coordinates would be nice too. Stay safe.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
thanks for the enlightened story, wow, a wall of wind that sounds like an outboard! I especially like the musles marinara and quiet anchorage scenaro, until you mentioned the wind. Glad you stayed off the lee shore, have more fun and adventure for the rest of your trip. Pat

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
You need a better cellphone plan for data.

No pictures until I see my first cell phone bill and find out what the data roaming charges are.
I use Virgin Mobile MIFI device with my laptop, costs me $40/mo unlimited data uses Sprint 3G network, no contract.I use it only those months I am cruising.

I think their new plan is now $50/mo.

DanM

Mar 28, 2011
Catalina 30 Galveston Bay
I love following along on these adventures while I'm slogging it out in the salt mine day in and day out, nose to the grindstone and all that...

I agree with Ed though, coordinates are always nice for all of us Google Earth nerds.

Have a great adventure!

DanM.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'm re-reading "Wandering Under Sail" by Eric Hiscock just now.

This stuff is better.

Thanks, Roger, much appreciated.

Jun 15, 2009
Vancouver 32 Portland/Falmouth
Well again I delay contacting someone and they are gone. Would like to have connected with you while you were here in Casco Bay.

I was told by the person I bought my boat from to get a power windless and did not. The wind shears you describe are of course common in the Med and facing them with my manuel windlass and singlehanding was daunting enough to help persuade me to head back to this side. I did claw off two lee shores with my anchor and chain adding to the drama but with only about 20 kts both times. 30 or more really would be far to lucky to be safe.

By the way I have used skype successfully and cheaply to contact thru wifi and avoid phone charges. Still havent made it as far downeast as you are but along the Vermont Canadian border I have had horrific phone charges. Will enjoy reading your adventures. What do you have for charts? Good Winds.

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
Roger,
The dinner sounds delish. I am wishing-well you know don't you? If you see Jackie say hi to her for me, ok?

POTL

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
coordinates are always nice for all of us Google Earth nerds.
The link to my SPOT tracking page is in the "Where's Strider?" thread. I've also added it to my signature. We'll see if it works with this post.

Rainy and cloudy today. I'm about to head over to Deer Island through the tail end of the ebb current at Letete Passage where it can reach 8 knots.

Here's the link in case the signature doesn't work:

http://www.cruisingonstrider.us/SPOTbeacon.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.