Main Sheet line holder

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021
Oday Widgeon Lake Palestine
Hello I have a 1965 widgeon that has a standard Horn cleat tie off for the main sheet that sit on top of the swing keel housing. Does anyone have a better idea I was thinking of using a swivel cam cleat any help will be helpful.
cam cleat.jpg
Thanks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
That's a very good solution. The first sailboat I ever capsized was a small wooden sloop that had a horn cleat that I tied off to. As I came around a small headland on the lake, guess what happened?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Gotta agree. Horn cleat isn't good for a mainsheet. But classic boats sometimes have that and have survived. There's nothing more comforting than being able to flick a main sheet out of a cam cleat to reduce heal on a small centerboard boat.
I took three non- sailors and non-boaters out on the Flying Scot a week ago and I could just look at their eyes and know when to release the main. It was gusty so no time to untie knots. We all had a fine time. OK, I was a little stressed trying to teach a very good baseball pitcher how to use a cam cleat. He never really got it. I'm sure my words were inadequate but I couldn't fine any better.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That'll work, but I'd consider adding a ratchet block to the swivel. This is the type of performance upgrade that makes sense. Besides giving a cleaner entry to the cleat, the ratchet's friction helps when handling the main upwind... and when in freewheel mode it let's the sheet run easy going downwind. This nifty unit only costs $126.00 from Vela.

• Helpful
Jan 30, 2022
Cal 29 Chesapeake Beach
consider adding a ratchet block to the swivel
I would second Joe here!! With emphasis.
Clam cleat a near must and ratchet block a bit plus.
I sail an old Hunter 140 off the beach and it is probably the most fun sailing I do.

However, a ratchet block would make it so much better that I’ve been contemplating it myself. Upwind on these things often means sheets in hand which can get tiresome. Sheets not in hand often means a refreshing swim or at the very least some spilt beer.

Spilt beer is bad when your supply is limited by cockpit size. Some of my saddest moments on the 140 have been watching my last one slosh around my feet.

• Helpful
Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Can you remove the section where the line goes through the hole, I do not know what it would be called.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Can you remove the section where the line goes through the hole, I do not know what it would be called.
If you're talking about the first picture, it's called a "fairlead". You can remove it, but you need it to guide the line into the cam cleat... therefore it's not a good idea unless you replace its purpose with another type of fairlead. There are many types of fairleads... for instance in the picture I posted, the block acts as the fairlead. There are cam and CLAM (2 different things) cleats that have the fairlead integrated into the assembly. The metal cam cleat you picture actually has an eye strap straddling the cams that could be called a fairlead, but its purpose is to keep the line captive, rather than guide it into the jaws of the cleat. On a swiveling device you especially need the fairlead...or you will quickly foul the line and probably end up getting wet!

Okay, Joe, let me give you a huge piece of advice, if you don't mind, of course. Go to any sailboat hardware vendor, or any good online chandlery, and study all the pages of hardware they have. There will be illustrations galore. Then go into a real store and hold them in your hand to see how they work. That's what every sailor in this forum has done when they first started. It's part of the learning process, like learning sailing and boat nomenclature. You should also have started a library of sailing and boat information and instruction. The best is "The Annapolis Book of seamanship".... you can find it in the library, and older editions at any used bookstore. Good Luck, Have Fun.

• Helpful

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021
That'll work, but I'd consider adding a ratchet block to the swivel. This is the type of performance upgrade that makes sense. Besides giving a cleaner entry to the cleat, the ratchet's friction helps when handling the main upwind... and when in freewheel mode it let's the sheet run easy going downwind. This nifty unit only costs $126.00 from Vela.
I like this idea makes sense however the place where the horn cleat goes is about 1,5 inches wide and I cant find the mounting dimension or footprint of the swivel mount

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021
I like this idea makes sense however the place where the horn cleat goes is about 1,5 inches wide and I cant find the mounting dimension or footprint of the swivel mount
Also the ratchet block , Is it easy to change from freewheel to ratchet on the ratchet block Thanks for the help Mark

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Also the ratchet block , Is it easy to change from freewheel to ratchet on the ratchet block Thanks for the help Mark
Yes, there is a button or lever that engages/disengages the ratchet mechanism. (the red button in this sample)

The really pricey versions are very cool. They are called "Oxen blocks" ...

It's sheave has gripper jaws like a self tailing winch, there is a ratchet mechanism inside that is activated by yanking the line... so there's no need for a cleat. When you're hanging out on the trapeeze wire, you don't have to snap the sheet into the cleat, you just "juke" it and it locks the sheave. To release, juke again... off you go.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
You might have to build a bracket. No problem. A metal cutting tool and some angled steel or aluminum could do it.