Main Sheet Activity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Hi
Just closed on my, new to me 2001 Catalina 310. I see a lot of good information out there, some of which helped me through the survey. I am looking to join the 310 Association, but I have a question. When you look at the links to the Mainsheet, there has not been an article posted about the 310 since 2006? Is that correct? :doh:

Any other 310 owners out there in WI?

Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
You will find articles in most issues. But do to the short production run of the C310 you not going to see the activity as some of the other models. The dues are well worth the cost of getting the mainsheet magazine. Welcome and enjoy the C310.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
You will find articles in most issues. But do to the short production run of the C310 you not going to see the activity as some of the other models. The dues are well worth the cost of getting the mainsheet magazine. Welcome and enjoy the C310.
I had an article on Hydronic heat installation published a little over a year ago for my 310 (1999). I also think the magazine is worth it.

Jon Freeman
C-310 Summer Sojourn
Tacoma, WA

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
On the catalina310.org site you can download an application and just send it in.

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Long Story - welcome to the group. I am sure you will enjoy your 310. I have plans to move my 310 from Lake Erie to Washington Island in a few years and there are other 310s in Wisconsin - see the member list. There are articles on the 310 in almost every issue of Mainsheet for the past 4 or 5 years including many feature articles from our members - See "Just Another Perfect Day in Paradise" on page 3 in the May 2011 issue. Look for another feature article in the May issue coming out in a couple of weeks. See also the post below requesting articles for the magazine. You can join the 310 IA by contacting Mark Zabawa our secretary/treasurer at mark@zabawa.net.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thanks for the info on the applicatiion. I'll be doing that soon.

Aug 24, 2009
Thanks

Yes on the Mainsheet being helpful. This is my 5th Catalina, ( I have owned a C-25, C-27, C34 and C-42) it is time to downsize as I am sailing mostly by myself now days. I loved my C-34 but finding one that is in good condition with shallow draft is tough. For a single hand sailor, the 310 seems perfect. I have always supported my association, so I appreciate the fact that there were responses, and for the current contact. On another note:

People may think it strange, but seeing I trust my dealer, (bought all five boats from them Sailplace in MI) I actual made my offer on photos only, and a lot of questions back and forth. I have only spent about 3 hours total on the boat, and will be moving it from MI to WI in a couple weeks. Trying to stock up on what I might need, as the past owner kind of stripper her out. (I have two dock lines, two fenders and a PFD oh, and one winch handle was left) Anyway, good thing I kept some stuff from my past. As for what tools to bring for the lake crossing. (I'll be on the water for 32 hours) is the Westerbeak (universal) US or Metric for what wrenches to bring? (or an unhealthy mix?) I have my spare parts being delivered to the boat. Thoughts are helpful, and if anyone is in the Holland area that has some spare boating stuff taking up room in the bilge to get rid of, let me know what you want for it?

Russ

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
M25XP for the most part is metric, but you will need SAE as well, for say the shaft coupling bolts and others.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
If you haven't got them already, the impeller/gaskets for raw water pump, 2 covers and gaskets for heat exchanger (cheap and quick delivery from Torresen).

The position of the engine cover has a tendency to break the fragile connection on the oil pressure switch so a spare one would be good to have. Won't disable the boat but it will cause a constant alarm at the panel. Easy to replace if needed.

Also, locate the 20A circuit breaker so you know where to go if it trips. It's behind that L-bracket just forward of the HX on mine. See pic.

Obviously I had to figure out all of this stuff out of necessity! Thanks to the Forum it was easy!

Have an extra alternator belt, too! Just in case. Hoses, clamps and Rescue Tape.

Sorry if I'm telling you obvious things but I'm just thinking back on past engines/experiences!

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
By Jove there is a little red button on the other side of the bracket hidden, never really looked.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Yes. After going crazy trying to figure out why I had no power to the engine, this Forum led me in the right direction! Knowing where that is will save a lot of headaches!

Aug 24, 2009
Jack - Just to say - there is no such thing as the obvious things! I thank you, I would have never known there was a breaker on the engine let alone where to find it. I had most of the parts you noted, added the covers for the heat exchanger based on your post. I have the larger Sherwood water pump (the one I understand is a pain to change out) and suggestions? I am now the owner and was going to move the boat this coming week, but 60% chance of rain each day, temps in the low 40's during the day and close to freezing at night changed my mind, will wait two week and see if it improves - spring will come at some point I hope. Wish the boat was close enough to go play with it.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
I have the larger Sherwood water pump (the one I understand is a pain to change out) and suggestions?
If it is the same one I have, the only problem I found with it was that the 3 bolts that hold the housing together are on the back of the pump. They aren't bad to remove, just time consuming with the belt and other engine parts in the way. I forget what size the bolts are but I bought a ratcheted wrench that fit and it made it vvery easy to put back on (and then take off when I saw the gasket still sitting on the cabin sole).

If you can get a hold of a foil packet or small tube of petroleum jelly for your impeller if you have to replace it, do so and leave it with the impeller kit.

I had to keep putting off launch because of this horrible winter/spring/whatever you want to call it weather. We finally splashed last Friday and it was a great trip back to the marina. Now the bad weather is all in the past and soon it will be a distant memory as we are enjoying off and on weekends until the 7 year old is out of school and his hockey season ends. Luckily Anam Cara was only about 45 minutes away from the house so I was able to run down on days off to slowly get her ready for recommissioning. In the words of Mr. Petty, the waiting is the hardest part!

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
When does Mainsheet get sent out? I haven't received an issue since Januarary. I was thinking it was quarterly and should have it by now???

Status
Not open for further replies.