Main sail slugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bruce Trotter

I am thinking of converting my main sail from a bolt rope (way of attaching to the mast) by having a sail maker fit it with slugs. Now I have to be on deck to feed the main sail into the mast. If it were fitted with slugs I could run my main sheets from the cockpit. I sail alone quit a bit and in much wind I have a problm keeping the boat straight into the wind with the bolt rope sail that I have now due to the time it takes to get the sail up. When my boat turns enough for the main to catch some wind ,it is almost impossible to raise until I go back to the cockpit to turn my boat back into the wind. Has anyone ever done this conversion and what are the pros and cons? I am new at sailing and bought my Mac 25 last summer. I would appreciate any comments.

D

Doug Rodrigues

I just did it.....

First of all, don't believe all the information you read on the internet. Another web site gave West Marine part numbers for plastic shackles and sail slugs for use on a Mac 25 sail. They didn't fit! I discovered this AFTER I had already melted the holes through the sail 12" apart to fit grommets! My recommendations: 1. Use West Marine 3/8" Sail Slug #2690881. You'll need 22 of them. The 1/2" Sail Slug #2690931 may also fit, but I didn't experiment with that larger size. Also use Plastic Shackle #2690964 with the slugs. 2. Don't melt any holes into the sail until you've actually got a plastic shackle and sail slug in position on the sail to confirm proper position. When you're satisfied, insert the screw into the plastic shackle to punch a hole through the sail material. Remove the shackle. Using a soldering iron with a 1/4" tip, melt a hole through the screw hole in the sail material. The melted hole will be almost like a grommet as the heat will mold the hole into one solid opening. A grommet isn't necessary. 3. Install the sail slug and plastic shackle. That's all there is to it, but remember,"DON'T MELT ANY HOLES INTO YOUR SAIL UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PARTS IN POSITION ON THE SAIL TO CONFIRM PROPER LOCATION OF THE HOLE." I made the mistake of melting larger holes and installing brass grommets first. Big, big mistake. The grommets are unnecessary, as you will see for yourself. West Marine has a "No Questions Policy" on returned parts. Go get yourself the plastic shackles and solid plastic sail slugs AND the slugs with the stainless bails to try them out first. What you don't use can be returned to the store. I had to buy my slugs off the West Marine web site after confirming the size I needed because none of the Bay Area stores had enough of them in stock. Hope this information helps you. Anything is better than sliding that rope up and down the slot.

B

Bruce Trotter

Sail Slugs

Thanks for the information Doug. That is my next project...

D

Doug Rodrigues

Forgot to mention....

Hey Bruce, You'll probably want to install the "Lazy Jacks" also to make single handling much easier. The money you save by installing the slugs yourself more than pays for the Lazy Jacks. You'll have to pre-load the slugs into the mast slot and have the lines leading back to the cockpit. I haven't yet figured-out what I'll use to keep the slugs from sliding back out of the mast, but something will come to mind. Can anybody out there in MacGregor land give ME some advice about that? Shall I just drill a hole across the slot and stick a bolt through to keep the slugs in, or is there a commercially made part to do that?

T

Timm Miller

STOP

Sailrite has a stop made for that.....finger tight and it stays all season, they also have all the slugs and shackles that you would need.

D

Doug Rodrigues

Thanks Timm

I didn't know what the part was called. Looked it up on the SailRite internet and found it. Went back to my West Marine catalog and found it there too. West Marine part #108332....$7.49. Ordered it off the West Marine web site. Thanks again. For Bruce: Those Lazy Jack prices seem way out of line. I'll fabricate my own "Lazy Jacks" for about a third or less of what the commercially ones sell for. Looks like it should be easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.