Main sail clips fall out of mast track

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Perkowski

just bought a 1984 31' and found that the main sail clips fell out of the mast when i lowered the sail. there is a wide section of the mast track just above the boom where sail clips are put in but my boat has no cover on it. the previous owner slid a cotter pin in the hole to keep the clips above the wide area but this keeps the reef points too high to get on the hook. can anyone explain what should be there to keep the clips in the track? thanks, bob perkowski

M

Michael O'

Mast Plate

You need to locate or create a plate that fits into that wide area of the mast just above the boom. I'll send you a picture later this week. That plate screws into that little hole you see on the right side of the mast near the track and allows the sail slugs to slide, but prevents them from falling out. I wonder if Hunter or Isomat can help you.

B

Bill Murray

sail stop

Michael is right but in a pinch you can also go to any chandlery and buy a "sail stop". it needs to be same diameter as your sail slugs. it has a slug with a little thumbwheel so you can insert it and then tighten it down. As I recall these are pretty cheap too. The link shows what is available online from BoatUS Good Sailing

M

Michael O'

Plate picture

Here's a photo of the small plate that screws into the mast to keep the slugs in place. Sometimes the sailstop doesn't work because it prevents the main sail slugs from getting low enough on the mast when the sail comes down. Good luck!

Attachments

P

paul

that happened to me too

I had the same problem. Whats missing is a flatish plate with a knurled knob which screws to the mast and fills in the hole in the track. After searching EVERYWHERE We called Hunter and got a replacement. Since the mast manufacturer is out of business, they could only find a "close" copy, but it looks and works fine.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Isomat parts are readily available!

The parts for the Isomat and most other spars are readily availabe from Rig-Rite www.rigrite.com. Don't know of anything that they DON'T have.

E

Eric Steege

Found the part - Thanks Steve

I have the same problem, and have been using a cotter pin to hold up the sail slides. I didn't realize that I was missing a part until now. I looked up the part and the url is below. The part number is NG1-9K. The mast on the H31 is NG-37. I am going to order the new Mainsail Gate tomorrow. Regards, Eric Steege Perfect Union 1984 Hunter 31 Bayport, MN

T

Theodore

Help! Need 1984 Hunter 31 Manual

I have recently purchased a 1984 Hunter 31 and need a copy of this model manual - can you help? Regards Theodore "Wizard"

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Your manual sir!

Theodore: Here is the manual on-line! http://www.scottssweaters.com/rubicon/manual/manual.htm Do you know the previous owners name?

Status
Not open for further replies.