Main sail/boom question

Nov 20, 2013
Catalina C-25 Cleveland
My boom is held aft by a small cable attached to the back stay when the sail is down. Do I release/attach it before or after raising & lowering sail?

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Release cable just before sail is all the way up and attach it just as you start to lower the main. Chief

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
My boom is held aft by a small cable attached to the back stay when the sail is down. Do I release/attach it before or after raising & lowering sail?
It is called a BOOM LIFT.

Disconnect it before you raise your sail. Reconnect it AFTER the sail is down.

Do you have a topping lift?

Do you know the skippers at the C25 Association?

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
If it is a small (about 12-inch long) cable with a clip that is attached to the backstay, it's called a pigtail. It's meant to hold the boom out of the cockpit when not sailing. Detach it BEFORE raising the mainsail and reattach it AFTER dropping the main.

My favorite trick is to forget to unclip before raising the main. I've done it more than once... Finally learned my lesson on a windy day when the main went up, I released the mainsheet as the sail filled, but the boom didn't move because it was still clipped to the pigtail. Put the rail in the water almost immediately!!! Rookie move!!! Enough said.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
In addition, it is also called a BOOM LIFT. The "lift" is not to be confused with what happens when you get knocked on your ear if, as Dave mentioned, you forget to disconnect the little thingie.

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
As others have said never raise sail with it attached. I recommend that you install a topping lift if there is not one already on the boat. My 25 did not have one when I purchased it-did not take long for me to add one.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
As others have said never raise sail with it attached. I recommend that you install a topping lift if there is not one already on the boat. My 25 did not have one when I purchased it-did not take long for me to add one.
Or a boom kicker / rigid vang... Either will be less hassle than a topping lift, and both will improve light air sailing performance as they will keep positive pressure UP on the boom, thus preventing the weight of the boom from knocking the wind out of the sail when it's light air.