Mackinaw island

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Attending a wedding today later this evening nearby. What in 5-6 hours would you recommend to visit and so forth. Never been there before. Hope my friend @Jackdaw will chime in too
Dave

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dave. My wife, a born in Michigan lady, just suggested “a walk across the bridge “ is kind of a tradition.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
if you are on the island, i suggest you go to the livery and hire a private buggy and tour all over. saddle horses are available. the museums and fort are nice, too. the village is about Tshirts and fudge.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Greetings from Michigan
The walk across the bridge only occurs on Labor Day.
On the island there are many historic sites including the fort, there is also a carriage ride around the island to several scenic locations.
The Grand Hotel is quite a site. Reported to be I believe the longest porch in the world. Could be wrong on that claim as it’s been a while. You can’t tour hotel unless you are a guest there and I believe they now restrict the porch as well because traffic was so heavy it interfered with guests.
It’s very touristy thing but almost required if you go to the island is to visit one of the fudge shops. Tourists are knows as fudgies.

Mackinaw City on the south end of the bridge is a nice city with lots to see there too. The ferry boats to the island originate out of Mackinaw City or St Ignace

Have a great time

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Although its pronounced “mackinaw” its spelled Mackinac.
On the island take a bicycle ride around the island. Hire a carriage for an island tour.
Walk up and take a look at the Grand Hotel (costs $10 just to walk on the porch!).
Go up the hill from the main street to the fort. You can get your fill of T shirt shops and fudge shops on the main street (the tourists are called “ fudgies”). A walk through the municipal marina can be entertaining, there are sometimes very interesting boats there other than the typical powerboats.
If you’re there after the daytime tourists take the ferry back to the mainland, the island becomes a completely different place.
If you get off the island for any length of time! the northwest corner of the lower peninsula is interesting with places like Petoskey, Harbor Springs, and Charlevoix.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Everyone of these little Islands I have visited become a different place before and after the Tourists are there. In the morning people walk around town in their pajamas and nothing opens until about 15 minutes before the ferry arrives. In the evening you might find an Ice Cream parlor to be the center of town. Stay two days in a row and they will greet you as a local.

Oct 22, 2014
Coming from Florida they will think you are a snow bird returned for the summer or at the end of season a little late leaving.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Sailed there once when I was in college. The father of a girl I was dating had a Tartan 30.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Been there many times. Walk a lot. Then, walk some more. You'll see most of what's available that way. You don't have to eat fudge, but you could.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Sorry I missed this. Sailing.

Everything there is fun, but touristy. The fort is neat. As a sailor, you HAVE to go to the Pink Pony.

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Joanns Fudge- double dark chocolate black cherry and walnut. Sinful and the best on the Island. I always get a couple of bricks when we do the Mac races.

Oct 22, 2014
Yummy.. @Jumpstart .
How about next time you go you send me a sample. That just looks so good, I am ready to go off my diet...

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Sorry, I missed this too. If you are just filling a little time before the wedding (where was it?), I think the best thing to do is ride a bike around the island and then stop for something to eat in town. The scenery is stunning at every curve, you'll see the arch rock, you'll pass by a lot of beautiful buildings and it takes very little effort, as the bike trail is completely flat. It's only about 8 miles so you'll do it in an hour or a little more depending on how often you stop. Sue had to see the hotel, which we did and it was fine but not really my interest. The carriage rides are nice and they'll tell you some good stories, so do that, too. Any of the restaurants will have plenty of character and be nice for a meal. It's really easy to just sit on an open veranda and watch the non-stop procession! If you walk around town, you can't help but find something that catches your interest. No telling what it might be! :biggrin:

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
And if you rent a bike, the path around the perimeter is easy, the one across the middle is harder.

I’m actually in St. Ignace right now, I’ll wave to you from across the straits.