Mack Boring diesel maintenance seminars

Status
Not open for further replies.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
They're classes are very informative. I learned a lot when I attended on many many years ago. They certainly helped build my confidence to work on the iron beast down below. The class also saved me a lot of money by allowing me to do a lot of the work myself. Of course some things I've hosed up over the years and needed to get a pro to show me how I screwed it up...but that's life on a boat.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Do any of you who have taken the Mack Boring course and have also taken the US Power Squadron Engine Maintenance course have an opinion on how the two courses compare? I realize that the USPS course generally doesn't have a hands-on part unless a local squadron chooses to enhance the national course, but other than that, how do the two compare for information provided?

luken7

Aug 21, 2010
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Oriental
I just took the three day Mack Boring class a couple of weeks ago in Wilmington, NC. I want to say that is was worth every penny. The best part of the course was the hands on labs, and best of all, I got to work on my engine model, 3gm30F. Learning and understanding the simplicity of the engine, the components, basic troubleshooting and maintenance was a real value and benefit to me. I apologize for sounding like an infomercial spokesman but I highly recommend the class.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
...and best of all, I got to work on my engine model, 3gm30F. Learning and understanding the simplicity of the engine, the components, basic troubleshooting and maintenance was a real value and benefit to me.
Interesting point. Parallel to Rich's question, my issue with those or any classes has always been that while you can learn the fundamentals of how a diesel engine works, and be able to identify the basic components, wouldn't it be much better to have a course, hands-on, with the engine that is actually in YOUR boat? While I respect the Yanmar owners, I sure would prefer learning and seeing how to do stuff on the M25 series engine I have on MY boat.

What are those of you who have taken the courses felt about this?

Dec 26, 2008
Bristol 30 Long Island Sound
Interesting point. Parallel to Rich's question, my issue with those or any classes has always been that while you can learn the fundamentals of how a diesel engine works, and be able to identify the basic components, wouldn't it be much better to have a course, hands-on, with the engine that is actually in YOUR boat? While I respect the Yanmar owners, I sure would prefer learning and seeing how to do stuff on the M25 series engine I have on MY boat.

What are those of you who have taken the courses felt about this?
I know someone with Cats (powerboat) who took a course. Haven't heard back yet, unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.