Macgregor V25 keel cable connection

Mike25

Feb 14, 2022
Macgregor Venture 25 Atlanta
Recently acquired a Venture 25 and am repairing the broke keel cable and trunk. Several concerns but my primary question is the alignment of the keel cable wear pin in relation to where the cable end connects to the keel. The hole in the keel for the cable bolt is 4 inches forward of the hole in the trunk where the wear tube is mounted. Seems like the cable will have excessive bending especially in the up position. Almost like the keel is too short or located too far forward. Is this typical or should the holes be in perfect alignment in regards to forward aft?

Also the cable will be connected to one side of the keel via the bolt. Which side of the keel should the cable attach?
Thks all

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Checkout my photo album on this site for my V25. it has some good keel pictures in it. I replaced my keel with one from a different year Mac and had similar issues. made a "roller" out of a 1/2 bolt with a tube sleeve over it. Don't remember for sure, but if i recall the keel was recessed on only one side where the cable would attach.https://forums.sailboatowners.com/media/keelcable.17995/full?d=1443911966

Mike25

Feb 14, 2022
Thanks much. What a concept that would work. The previous owner had wound the winch too tight and broke the trunk top at cable entrance. The trunk opening is symmetrical and holes centered but I saw an image from justsomeguy showing the cable connected on the side. I'll check ur y tube

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
My keel lines up perfectly when in the up position to the hole for the cable to go through, my boat is an 83. There is quite a bend forward when the keel is down though. Not sure this helps, but just for reference some do line up with the hole.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
Mine lines up pretty good too. Although I never spent a lot of time looking at it. I can crank the keel up tight when loading on the trailer. I know that where the cable bolts to the keel it is secured on one side. I check the connection annually. I like that it connects on one side as this puts side tension on the keel keeping it from banging on anchor or while sailing.

Mike25

Feb 14, 2022
Thanks for replies. The distance off alignment is 3.75" at 7" from keel bolt to wear pin (about 28 degrees) I think it will work. The pin does not show excessive wear from the past but I will monitor it. I made 2 stainless plates about 3" by 5" to sandwich and reinforce the damaged trunk top where PO had over cranked the windy. Pic to follow. Thks for the advice to put cable on nut end of keel bolt for ease of future repair.

Mike25

Feb 14, 2022
Here's what I came up with to repair the trunk. I laid roving and applied polyester resin to the damaged trunk top. Then drilled 3 holes to match the cable and wear pin bolts. I also cut 2 stainless plates to match the wear pin and sandwiched the fiberglass putting butle on the lower plate. I hope to get her wet this month.

Attachments

Mike25

Feb 14, 2022
Well hit the water yesterday 1st time. New keel winch works great but no locking pin hole in keel head. As we watch through trunk hole its air until nearly lowered then the white paint of keel. See full story on "flimsy deck bow rail tabernacle backplate" thread