MacGregor 26X Autopilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Tulloch

Which autopilot would be best for my MacGregor 26X. It has a 50 Honda. I've looked at Raytheon, Autohelm ST4000 Plus Wheel Pilot, Sportpilot and Sportpilot Plus but would like input from someone who has actually done an installation.

A

Alan Williams

ST4000 Autopilot

I installed the ST4000 2 yrs ago. Recently added the ST40 wind and bi-data... a little pricey, but the combo works very well. At least until my puppy chewed the wires. I put the ST4000 motor directly into the binnacle (didn't use the post)

S

Skip

26X autopilot

A man who's boat I considered buying had installed a "MOTORBOAT TYPE" autopilot, aftera sailboat type didn't work well.

K

kent flood

autopilot

Hi, just saw this page. I have installed a sportpilot plus and it does not work very well. I guess the reason is the gape between the wheel and the roder. I heard that I need to buy a feedback unit that should be mounted on the rudder side and that should take care of the problem. It's very expansive however. I will look in to that next week and can come back to you if i find a solution. Please inform me if you find a better one. To understand the problem better: Sometimes with some winds and waves it just work perfect but very often the boat is twisting or wriggling. Kent Flood kent@floodcon.com

Status
Not open for further replies.