Macgregor 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Petrov

I am about to purchase a 1994 Macgregor 26' for about $10000US ($14000CDN). This is my first boat. Can anyone tell me if that is a representative price for such boat. Also, is it a good "starter's" boat?

A

Art Tirrell

not a good choice

You didn't speicify which 26, but about the only people who buy these boats are people who have little or no sailing experience. If you'd like the rest of my opinion I'd be happy to elaborate. Contact me at art.tirrell@verizon.net.

B

Bob Cassel

I love my 26S...

The 26S or D is a pretty good boat, but you will have some challenges. The boat is light and sails like a dinghy. That can be good if you want to learn how to really sail quickly. Without a modified rudder, you may expect some degree of weather helm in a good wind. The boat is light to tow, easy to rig and plenty big for a weekend or overnight. If I was to start again, I probably would go the way I went originally: got a 20 ft or so, swing keel boat that had about 35 years of experiance. That way I didn't have to worry about the inevitable scratches and dings I would put in it. You should be able to pick up a Catalina 22, Balboa/Ensenada 20 or similar boat for around $1500 (US) and the sell it for same in a year or two.

M

Malcolm

Many Macs

On the lake that I sail on, I would guess the most common model is the 26S, followed by the 26X. As far as a beginner's boat goes, the people who own one range from beginners to people who have spent their life sailing. As a beginner's boat, the main concern would be that it is a 26 foot boat. If you're comfortable with this size, go for it, because you can always sell it for close to what you paid. Price for a late model 26S around here is about $16,000.

D

dan

Way to MUCH!

Hi Petrov Where is Whitby? Ocean or inland lake sailing? Lake.....go with the Mac 26S/C models. Has a centerboard which is handy for gounding and unexpected rocks. Harder to sail than keel boats I learned on a Cal 20 with a real keel(1500lb) Ocean.....go with a SAILBOAT. Used Catalina 22 with trailer in the local BoatTrader for $7000. You can pick up ALL the beginning sailboat you need for around $5000 max, if you shop around. My recommondation.......go with a wing keel trailerable SAILBOAT. You will keep it longer and have more FUN than a water ballasted boat. Will trade my 26X in for a Catalina 27 soon. Happy Sailing........dan

B

billy w

The choice is yours

I'm one of those inexperienced sailors (about 35 years) who chose to buy a 26X. I've sailed Snark, Catalina, Cutter, Hunter, Hobie, O Day, Valiant, and others I don't even remember. I've sailed numerous lakes in Ar, La, Ok, Tx, Mo, Al as well as Gulf of Mex and ICW. I've had the 26x (bought new, 50 hp) a little over a year. Bought it for my retirement so I can do some sailing and motor cruising. I bought it for dual purpose but am pleased by the way it sails. A Valiant it ain't but it meets my needs. Do some research and buy a boat that meets your current needs and change boats as your needs change. I don't know about the price, but I have heard mostly good things about the older Mac S & D. I still have a Snark Wildflower which I day sail regularly.

P

Paul

Voice of Experience

Thanks Billy, nice to hear a voice of experience. All boats are a compromise. You just have to pick what is important to you.

J

Jerry Woods

Probably a good choice and price

I bought a 1993 Classic in Seattle this summer for $10000(US). It has a 2001 Honda 9.9 4 stroke with electric start, 150% roller furling jib, Edsan wheel steering with binnacle compass and was in pretty good shape. I live in Salem, Oregon and am currently sailing on a lake but hope to do the San Juans in a year or so. My sailing experience is very limited. I should have started a long time ago. I've followed MacGregor for a long time. Sure I can find boats I like better but not at this price unless I wanted a smaller boat or one that was more difficult to trailer. I just retired and after years pursuing a career it's time to have some fun and I'm getting lots of support from really good sailors. P.S. I've seen more used Macs sold this year than ever before.

J

Jerry

More Food for Thought

Well, you've had a lot of response to your question. I'll add mine. First, If this is your first sailboat, and you've not done enough sailing to know, "Yes, I will enjoy going nowhere- fast", - I would not spend $10,000 for it. I'd follow the advice of others- get a cheap, smaller boat. However, If you know sailing is your style, then the 26 is a good choice. Those who say "We're not real sailors" are too full of themselves. My 1994 26 swing keel is a fun, roomy sailboat. Suited for lake, bay, Intracoastal Canal (IWC- Da Ditch), and coastal sailing. Does it handle as well as my first "real" sail boat, an O'Day 22? (see above info on go cheap first) Not exactly. But, I've learned it's quirks, and do just fine. My wife and I have room to sit and not bump knees, or just move about. Take the parents, cousins, nephews, and/or other derelicts? No problem mon. Lastly, cost. I got a great deal. Paid $6,000 for mine in 1998 over at Lake Lanier, Georgia. That is not the norm. However, I recently used the boat to secure a $10,000 loan. As I search the net, that price seems to be the average rate. To conclude. Search the web. You'll see there are many, many happy MacGregor, water-balast sailboat owners who take thier boats to many ports of call. I think you could become one of them. Sorry to be so verbose. Sincerely, Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.