Macgregor 26 - what are the differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roj

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a Macgregor 26 but I am slightly confused being new to the boat. I see a number of different listings for 26's but all seem to refer to a different suffix letter. The particular boat I have seen is a 26C, built 1991, what is the difference between this and the other classification of 26's I have seen such as 26S 26M 26D and 26X (or even some just listed as 26). If anybody can help and explain that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in anticipation. Also any hints or tips on what to look for or beware of when buying secondhand 26 of this vintage would also be appreciated.

T

Tom Roberts

Differences...

a 26 "D" has a Dagger Board. a 26 "S" has a Swing Keel. and I believe the 26 "C" has a Center Board. (if I am wrong I am sure I will be corrected soon). These are older models. 26 "M" and "X" are the newer motor/sailor models and completely different from the D,S, and C models (And cost much more).

R

Rick 95 26S

C = "classic" refering to both "S" and "D" models

These designations are informal but I believe "C" means "classic" and refers to both the "S" and "D" models to more or less differentiate them from the later "X" style. The definition for underwater appendages is sometimes murky but I believe the "S" means "swing centerboard" which is a much lighter and simpler system than the heavier "swing keel" that was used on earlier boats such as the Mac 25.

A

AndyS

I believe...

Here is what I think I know: "C", "S", and "D" models are, as already stated, either centerboard or swing keel types. Also, these older models were all tiller boats. I think the C,S,D were able to take up to 10HP motors. These were more "traditional" sailboats than the X and M. The "X" model succeeded the C,S,D and was a significant change in that it allowed up to a 50HP motor, had a planing type of hull, had much more freeboard, and had wheel steering. The "X" had a swing-keel (some would say it has to be called a swing-centerboard because it was not very heavy). The "M" model was new in 2003 and is the follow-on to the "X". The M has upgrades to sailability, such as a mainsheet traveller and a rotating mast (similar to a lot of catamaran rigs), and cosmetic/layout changes to the interior of the cabin. The M has a daggerboard vice the swing-keel. All of these boats are similar in that they use water-ballast to allow for easy trailering, and as a side-benefit all can be set up with incredibly shallow drafts for access to places where no other sailboat of this size dares tread. Best of luck in your search for a new boat, AndyS

M

mrbill

also

87-89 were daggerboards, 90-95 centerboards, the 87-89 had external hung rudders, also the 89 on had higher side rails in the cockpit. and moved some vberth floatation to the vberth celing. the D is a little faster to weather (IMHO), the 89 was best of breed for the D, the 90-95 are better is you sail in shoal areas. all are great sailers....

M

MArk

26 HIN is W, X or M

You'll never find the letter S, D or C in a Macgregor 26 hull identification number (HIN). The so-called "Classic" or "C" designs, whether with a dagger or center board had an HIN with a "W". The X and M really have the "X" or "M" in their HIN. See the link below for more information. (Thanks to Herman Wadler.) Happy sails *_/), MArk

Status
Not open for further replies.