MacGregor 26 Atlantic Crossings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2007
- - -
Hi, I am new to sailing but looking for a boat to learn on and eventually to port out of Horta in the Azores for a few years. I want something to sail between the islands but not sure if the MacGregor is the right boat to sail there. Assuming my sailing skills are up to it, is the MacGregor 26 a good choice to make an Atlantic crossing? Would appreciate any imput from MacGregor owners on how the boat performs in deep water. Thanks.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
no, but

what model year are you looking at? this would be my starting place: http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Small-Sailboats-Take-Anywhere/dp/0939837323 you could go around the world in a mac... but you will need to rebuild and outfit the boat, extensivly. search archives for mad mike or zeno's arrow. this guy took an X all over hell and back... really. but he rebuilt the boat 1st... literally. here: http://archives.sailboatowners.com/pviewarch.htm?fno=82&sku=2005331223508.10&id=367471&ptl=#2005331230302.78 and http://archives.sailboatowners.com/index.htm?fno=82 -add "madmike" to search looks like the full thread on macgregor-sailors.com is down...

Jan 30, 2007
- - -
Thanks for the links.

Thanks for the information. Would probably be looking at a late model Mac 2004 to new. Would probably use it around the San Francisco Bay Area for a few years before starting the journey.

Oct 26, 2004
Macgregor 26X Denton Co. TX USA
Yes and no

I've had 14 years experiences with Macgregor boats. Any Mac model would be good for sailing on any ocean anywhere, if in good weather only. For pleasure sailing, beaching, exploring rivers, etc. it's hard to beat.Water is water no matter what color or how deep. Weather and sea state are the limiting factors you must consider for any voyage with any boat. If you intend to keep a tight schedule, must be at sea in nasty weather and large seas, or want to cover long distances where you cannot reasonably predict the weather to be nice the whole way, I don't recommend a lightly built boat. It will not self destruct, but you will be miserable bouncing around in a light boat of any make, whether under motor or sail power. I would not suggest sailing the Atlantic from the US or Caribbean to the Azores in a Mac because of the unpredictability of the weather on the most feasible route for sailing (you simply can't carry enough fuel and provisions to motor the whole way), and the prevailing winds on the nose will make it even tougher than sailing from the Azores to here.

Jul 24, 2006
Macgregor 25 Tulsa, Ok.
Skipper or Boat

For a good place to start learning about ocean crossings, I highly recommend the book "A Speck On The Sea". It details ocean crossings and circumnavigations in some of the most improbable craft you can conjure up. People have travelled long distances over the sea in open dories and even canoes. Every sailor has their own opinion about what size boat is best to make crossings. For some reason people equate larger size with more safety. Witness the poor chap who lost his 44 foot ketch near Cape Horn, and a gal in an older 28 foot Southern Cross sloop made it around the Horn safely whilst only about 150 miles behind the larger boat. It's not for me to make personal judgement on the sailor of the 44 foot boat, though one could easily argue that the woman in the SC 28 has been sailing around the world single-handed for several years or longer and knew her boat and wasn't counting on a large boat to compensate for a lack of experience at blue water cruising. There's no shortage of criticism of this fellow on the "ask all sailors" forum at this site. Then there is the story of Shane Acton who sailed away from the Thames River in England and circumnavigated successfully in an 18 foot wooden Caprice sloop that he bought for the princely price of 400 pounds sterling back in the late '60's. I've read tales of people sailing 15 foot West Wight Potters in incredible sea conditions. The present trans-Atlantic record is, I believe around 4 ft. long- barely a capsule. I think the skipper is more important than the craft, as well luck and fate have quite a bit to do with successful and safe crossings. Personally, I think the positive floatation in the Mac is a plus if you were going to go to sea. However, I think what MaddMike did with a longer, heavier keel was quite smart. Personally, I think full keels or very long fin/bulb keels add stability and having the majority of your ballast lower down will keep the boat from feeling like a cork on a pond. A friend of mine has a Pearson Ariel 26' with a full keel and he plans to single-hand it to Hawaii in the future. He's got quite a bit of blue water experience and barring an unforseen catastrophe or major storm, I have no reason to believe he won't make it there and back safely. He also spends every spare minute he can sailing the boat becoming intimately familiar with it. On the other hand, I don't think I'd fare as well with my relative lack of experience, regardless how stout the boat is. Give me five years of regular sailing on the same boat and I'd feel much more confident. Those who seem to have the most success take the time to sail the boat closer to home quite extensively and get familiar with every quirk and take note of changes which need to be made, carry plenty of spare parts or have great jury-rigging skills. Things break on the open ocean, the ocean unleashes power that is hard for people who have not been in the middle of it to comprehend. Boat handling skills to prevent as much damage as possible in a hard gale are often more important than the structure of the boat itself.

Dennis

Jun 4, 2004
Macgregor Venture 222 trailer
People have sailed the Pacific

in 16 footers, and yes the book speck on the sea is an excellent read! Remember even the Ra expeditions were papyrus reed boats and they have sailed both the Atlantic and Pacific!!!!!

G

GARY CRIPPS

COOL HAND LUKE

Like they said in the movie "A mans got to know his limitations" or his boats?

Jul 24, 2006
Macgregor 25 Tulsa, Ok.
Walker Bay

Definitely wouldn't want to attempt such a crossing in a Walker Bay!!! :eek:)

Jul 24, 2006
Macgregor 25 Tulsa, Ok.
Just Curious

I'm sort of curious as to why you have somewhat narrowed it down to a Mac 26. Are you referring to an X/M boat or an earlier "classic" S/D boat? One thing that dawned on me is if you are thinking having a 50 HP would be good to get you out of trouble. On a flat calm you could make good time, but you would have to carry more gasoline than would be practical or, likely even, safe. In six to eight foot seas, you wouldn't want to be pounding off waves at 20 knots. I'd never steer anyone away from a Mac if they want one for the right purposes, but there are plenty of good used boats in the price range of a new Mac which have more of a "blue water pedigree".

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
X or M speed in Big Seas?

Quite a while ago, I read a story of a teacher from Canada that took his X to bahamas (exumas), and returned to ftlaud, via Grand bahama... (2 month trip) anyway, one thing he said was, had he to do over, he would NOT have gotten his 50hp, but would go for a 15-25hp for the gas economy. Seems in big seas, you can't get the boat on a plane, so the 50 is just waisting fuel... the 15-25 would have pushed him at same speeds with better fuel mileage. -No experience with a X or M, but it makes sense, if you can not plane the boat in 4' seas... (and 2-4' seas is calm in so fla, 4-6' is moderate offshore) -does this make sense to you X owners??? edit: link to story... (guess the site is back up) http://macgregorsailors.com/explore/exumas/index.php ok correction: 30hp not 15-25... " Notes to MacGregor Owners If I had the choice again, I would get a Honda 30 for the boat. Much better gas mileage, and you don't need the extra speed for the ocean. Seven knots was about the limit of comfort in a light chop, and I believe it would still be enough to drain the ballast while in the water. "

Jul 24, 2006
Macgregor 25 Tulsa, Ok.
Rough Ride

How rough is that ride Skeeter? Seems like on a boat that short it would beat the crap out of you and your standing rigging. I imagine you can get it to plane, but for skipper and pax comfort, and overall care of your rig, it's probably not best to get up to a speed that would have you slamming down off waves.

S

Skeeter

smooth baby

The M is surprisingly smooth and doesn't slam unless you get into a bumpy mixed swell. I would not however want to sail it or any other trailer sailor across the Atlantic.

Feb 4, 2007
- - hartlepool
Atlantic Crossing record in 5ft boat

Hi new to the forum but i have always been a very keen sailor, while reading this post about crossing the atlantic in a m26, i stumbled across some mention of the record crossing in a 4ft capsule, I can tell you first hand about this record, in 1992 as part of the columbus celebrations of discovering the new world, Tom Mcnally a man from liverpool uk crossed the atlantic in 136 days, in what can only be descibed as a metal boot 5ft long, with a mast made from scaffold poles, eating raw fish caught whilst bobbing along and using a hand pump to turn salt water into fresh. This poor soul turned up in san juan where i am pleased to say i met the man, he had no money whatsoever on him, us customs charged him his last fifty dollars to enter the country , i took the guy to the black angus for some refreshments after his ordeal where he told me his story, After two days he left for miami in the same boot, he had a good sense of humor and no doubt he would cross in the m26, as for me i have got to tell you after several crossings , smallest boat 39ft i would not , unless of course you feel lucky

Jan 8, 2007
Macgregor 23 New London CT.
EVERY BOATS A STEINWAY

"YOU YOURS"- WHERE DO YOU GET THESE TERRIFIC PICS ?????? I LEARNED EARLY ON IN MY BOATING SPORT THAT SAILORS AND BOATERS WERE NOT LIKE PEOPLE WHO OWNED PIANOS AND TENDED TO LOOK DOWN ON ANYTHING LESS THAN A TOP OF THE LINE STEINWAY. ANYTHING GOES WITH BOATS AND I NOTICED THAT SOMEONE WITH A LITTLE HOMEMADE SKIFF OF SOME KIND WAS HONORED AND CHEERED ON AS MUCH AS SOMEONE WITH AN 30 TO 40 FOOT BOAT..EVERYONE IS JUST GLAD TO SEE ANOTHER PERSON OUT THERE ON THE WATER ENJOYING IT . IT DOESN'T MATTER IF ALL YOU HAVE IS A FEW INNER TUBES WITH A BOARD ON TOP....I LIKE THAT ABOUT BOATING, YOUR PICS ARE GREAT. I LOVE LOOKING AT THEM...KEEP EM COMMING......SMITROE

Status
Not open for further replies.