• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

MacGregor 25 Classification

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Monterey
I’ve owned my MacGregor 25 for decades and still have never gotten an answer to a simple question:
Is a MacGregor 25 considered to be a one design sailboat?
If it isn’t, what would it be classified as?
No debasing comments please as I know there are many sailors out there who have many disparaging things to say about MacGregor sailboats.
Looking forward to any respectful comments.
Thank you.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Why would it be? Is there an official set of rules in regards to racing them? Is there an association that sets these rules and enforces them? Where are the fleets that race nothing but M 25's? If one would race it, it would probably be in PHRF and assigned a handicap. Not sure the point of your question. Its a sailboat that people sail and if it's raced, it would be in a handicap fleet.

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Monterey
Wow. I guess you told me. I guess I’m going to have to make sure of what questions I ask, in the future, because there are some highly sophisticated sailors out there and people, like myself, should never submit such low level, silly questions. I guess I should consider myself honored to have received a response. Please accept my apologies as well as my sincere appreciation.

Jan 19, 2010
Hunter 26 Charleston
Hey @Giro! I don't think @cb32863 was trying to be a smart ass. I read it as someone thinking out loud. I used to own a Mac 22 and so I get the thin skin that comes with all of the Mac-haters. Magregor sailboats offer a lot for what you pay. I loved mine. It was more like camping inside but I did a LOT of camping on that boat...

Anyway, I don't think you were being dissed.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I’m not a racer but isn’t the term One Design meant to indicate that all of the boats were built to a standard design? No options? So racers would be competing against each other rather than boats of varying design?
VS say, my C30 which was offered in fin keel, wing keel, standard rig, tall rig, etc? And that would be where PHRF racing comes into play?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Wow. I guess you told me. I guess I’m going to have to make sure of what questions I ask, in the future, because there are some highly sophisticated sailors out there and people, like myself, should never submit such low level, silly questions. I guess I should consider myself honored to have received a response. Please accept my apologies as well as my sincere appreciation.
Relax, was doing as @rgranger said. Therse are the questions one asks in regards to one design. I think your skin needs thickening. :huh: