MacGregor 22 compared to Catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Wesseler

We are new to weekend lake sailing (though my wife crewed for several years in the Caribbean)and looking to buy a used trailerable sailboat which we'd mostly keep at a local lake but would like to trailer once or twice a year to Lake Erie or another area. We have a 4 yr old daughter and are very interested in safety as well as enough performance to have fun (but not racing). We've narrowed our purchase choices down to an '84 MacGregor 22 and an '87 Catalina 22, both well-maintained. The MacGregor has flotation while the Catalina doesn't, but the MacGregor is much lighter--1800 lbs. compared to 2490. The Catalina draws 2' with the keel up while the MacGregor can float on 6" of water. We get alot of light air in the summers here so wonder if the weight of the Catalina would keep us from doing as much sailing as we'd like, but we don't want something that will take too much constant attention by both of us, to sail. The Catalina does have a flexifurler (with 110 jib, no genoa) while the MacGregor has no roller furling. The MacGregor has been on a trailer (covered) for the past 2 yrs due to owner's family situation (and was mostly sailed on Lake Erie prior to that), while the Catalina is already docked at the local lake where we'd be sailing, and its owner is familiar with the boat's performance on that lake (and he'll be continuing as a member of that sailing club when he buys the 25 foot boat he's looking for). Any comparison information you can offer to help us make the right choice? Thanks!

J

Joe Hime

cat vs mac

Flotation, towing weight, mac was dry-sailed...No more calls please! I have been on both and prefer the mac if overall boat conditions are the same........JH

D

D Berube

Mac or cat

We have a 22 Mac. My wife knows some people with a Catalina, and they praise our Mac instead. They dont have a pop-top so lack 6 foot head room in the main cabin. The lighter boat is easier to sail in light winds. The Mac tows GREAT, as we pulled ours 500 plus miles with our 4 cyl. 4 wheel drive Toyota pickup, no problem! I'd go MAC! I guess it just depends on what you want! If you plan on towing a lot, the Mac is the way to go!

G

MAC'S ARE OK

Although the construction of the cat may be a little better and the head room moer accomadating, the Mac is one heck of a boat. The Mac will trailer better and handle the wind just fine. Compare at the price and condition of the boats This year I purchased a 1980 25ft Mac with the intention of upgrading next season. The boat has been refurbushed with some keel work and cushion upgrades, running rigging, ect. ect. Recently I got one heck of a deal on an unused set of sails. By golly, this darn boat is growing on me, it seems to handle the wind as well as the other 25's, Cats included. I just may sand the deck and have my buddy spray a nice coat of fresh paint on her for next year, she is getting better all the time. We sail at Lake Authur, Moraine State Park, just north Of Pittsburgh Pa. and occasionally take the boat to Erie, where she does just fine We have several older 22 Macs at our dock and they are holding up great. Earl S Keim II

J

Jerry

Go Mac

I've sailed both. The Cat is like an O'Day 22 that I had. Nice, sturdy but, a pain to trailer and set up. Get the mast raising system for the Mac and go sailing. More room.

Status
Not open for further replies.