macerator

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I have a Morgan 35, and I am looking to add a holding tank and macerator to the head.... I am trying to find the best place and correct arrangement for the set up....

1) what is the recommended size of holding tank to put on a 35' ?

2) where is the best place for it to be secured?

3) should the macerator be placed between the tank and the head..... or after the tank for pump out reasons ???

the last owner had these items removed, and discarded.... he closed off the Y valve and pumped everything out into the sea.... I do not plan to violate the coastal laws... I need to install the tank and macerator, and deck fitting for pump outs.... I will still draw in sea water to use in the toilet and put into the waste holding tank.... the fresh water will only be used for the sinks in the galley and head....

I need advice on where would be the best placement and order for it all to fit and work properly... my wife has to have her comforts.. and I want to keep her happy... when MOMMA is happy the boat is happy...

any helpful advice will be great

sincerely
Jess

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
If you're not going to ever be off shore in the ocean you do not need a macerator. It's only for pumping the tank out through the thru-hull.

Jun 24, 2014
Hunter 35 Cocoa
Placement of holding tank and macerator.

Hello! I have a Morgan 35 mk2, the holding tank is 13 gallons, I think, under the forward galley seat, port side, that abutts the head. It is small. The tank came from West Marine. It has 2 two inch ports, one at top of tank that comes in from the toilet and one on bottom which goes to a y valve of which one line goes to a deck fitting for pumpout, the other goes to a macerator and then to thru hull out bottom of boat. The tank also has a 3/4 inch port on top for ventilation. The lines go towards the port and into the head. Macerator and thru hull are in head, under sink. If you give me some way to send you pics I will. Works fine. Kevin

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello FloridaBoy

is 13 gallons bjg enough.... or would you suggest a bigger tank.... I have no tank in my boat right now....

I will send a private message

sincerely
Jess

Jun 24, 2014
Hunter 35 Cocoa
Holding Tank...

13 gallons fits in the space I had. Not many places to put one on an M35 if you think about it. I don't much let people use the head unless we are sailing. To much trouble with possible stink, busted macerator pumps, heads are a mess to work with, unpleasant. But, 13 gallons makes you legal. I would really like to replace the tank with 2 vents, that's supposed to be the best, good air exchange and keeps anerobic bacteria from growing, they are the guys making the stink. With good oxygen flowing in the tank, the aerobic bacteria do the breakdown and they release methane and co2, which have no odor, so I read. Look up Peggy Hall, she has spent her life making systems for boats that work. She is in most of the sailing forums and has written a book you can buy. But, my system works with one vent. Holds enough for a small trip, if you don't flush too much. I pee over the side myself. Heck, if it was up to me, I'd have a 5 gallon bucket with a toilet seat on it! Dump it over the side and rinse it out! Then I could make use of the head for storage or something. lol Kevin

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
I have a 15 gallon tank on my Oday35. It is adequate for my wife and I for 2 overnight trips, with a pump out at the end. We are very conservative with our water usage so it works for us. As soon as we bring another person on board, the tank will only last for 24 hours underway. So, I ended up installing a Raritan hold and treat system that will allow legal discharge in all but designated no discharge zones. While it wasn't a cheap option, I now never run out of holding tank capacity. The only time I look for pumpouts is when cruising in Long Island Sound. In the end I would say that a 13-15 gallon tank will be barely adequate for anything more than a day or two underway. So base it on your cruising plans because as Peggy said it, no holding tank is ever big enough.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
hello all

I have a Morgan 35, and I am looking to add a holding tank and macerator to the head.... I am trying to find the best place and correct arrangement for the set up....

1) what is the recommended size of holding tank to put on a 35' ?

2) where is the best place for it to be secured?

3) should the macerator be placed between the tank and the head..... or after the tank for pump out reasons ???

the last owner had these items removed, and discarded.... he closed off the Y valve and pumped everything out into the sea.... I do not plan to violate the coastal laws... I need to install the tank and macerator, and deck fitting for pump outs.... I will still draw in sea water to use in the toilet and put into the waste holding tank.... the fresh water will only be used for the sinks in the galley and head....

I need advice on where would be the best placement and order for it all to fit and work properly... my wife has to have her comforts.. and I want to keep her happy... when MOMMA is happy the boat is happy...

any helpful advice will be great

sincerely
Jess
A 20 gallon tank is about the minimum you would want to install if you.have the room. The problem is the marine heads use so much water to flush that it fills the tank so fast.
We have a 23 gallon tank and we can get 2-3 days from it, thats when cruising and using it only for head flushing, no gray water...

As for a macerator, i believe it to be a waste of money and time.... unless you have complicated plumbing with long runs.
ive had many boats and never seen the need to chop the waste...
And im NOT suggesting but just saying, if you want to chop it for overboard discharge, there are other methods that are cheaper and more dependable in the long run.... macerators arent known for longevity, and if the install of the system is reasonable they are completey unnecessary.