Macerator pump won't run.

JoeK

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 28MKII Morris Plains NJ
So I ran my Jabsco macerator pump dry for more than the recommended 15 seconds and it shut down. Now it won't start at all. I doubt that the pump burned out that quickly. Is there a reset button somewhere? How do I get the pump to run again?
2014 Benateau 34

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Is it on the toiletvor overboard discharge? If toilet, might be time to replace. Relatively easy replacement.....just disconnect the wires, temove the toilet, replace and reinstall. Did that on my Hunter 46.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
So I ran my Jabsco macerator pump dry for more than the recommended 15 seconds and it shut down.
Hi Joe. The macerator pump in question, is it the one that is used to empty your holding tank, or the one that empties your toilet bowl? If the former, I would remove it and inspect whether it has a reset button. If not, take it apart and see whether you can repair it. These motors are quite simple and might just need a reset.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
On the back side of the shaft there is a slot for a screw driver. Using a screw driver see if you can turn the shaft. Also disconnect the red and black wires and check for 12vdc when the switch is on.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
On the back side of the shaft there is a slot for a screw driver. Using a screw driver see if you can turn the shaft. Also disconnect the red and black wires and check for 12vdc when the switch is on.
Good idea. The breaker might have tripped.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
If you are trying to manually crank the holding tank macerator via the slotted screw drive at the back end, use an angled screwdriver to get more torque. Once you free it and reset the breaker, it should run. In the future, be sure flush the tank and the macerator with seawater after emptying the holding tank. That should help prevent it from getting stuck.

JoeK

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 28MKII Morris Plains NJ
Problem solved. We were able to turn the pump shaft with a screwdriver. We then followed the wiring back to the circuit breakers located below the instrument panel (where the fuses are). We found a tripped breaker and reset it. Pump works fine now.
Thanks for all your input.